Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 19:47   #1

Mast canted

Visited a friend on his live aboard Columbia 8.3. He’s never sailed it. I noticed his mast was tilted forward off vertical by at least a foot at the masthead. Turnbuckles look set up about right. Anybody have any ideas? Sailboat data has line drawing that looks like the masthead is just a touch forward of vertical, not 1-2 feet though. Riggers mistake? Come spring I’ll try to help the guy adjust it but anyone know where it should be or have a source for info?
Thanks in advance.
Nap Plank,
Nantucket
nap plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 20:04   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Mast canted

Is there an owners discussion board or other sources for proper rigging setup info for that model? Perhaps a builders drawing of the rig with dimensions?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 20:09   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Ah- Google can be very helpful - I found this COLUMBIA 8.3 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 21:03   #4

Mast canted

Well like I said sailboat data shows the mast canted perhaps a tad forward but this is using the edges of the phones screen as a reference. There’s no data about the angle of mast to deck or length of forestry to length of back stay.
I guess that leaves nothing but experimentation. That could be fun but I’ve got my own boat to mess with as well.....
Thanks and if anyone has expirienced this sort of thing or has info please pipe up...
Old 01-11-2017, 22:26   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It is normal for a mast to be raked AFT a bit. I've never seen one raked forward... one might do it to help overcome excessive weather helm, but in all likelihood his mast should be raked aft. How much? Well, on a boat of that size, I'd start with perhaps 6 inches, as measured with a halyard dropped like a plumb bob and measuring from the aft edge of the mast. A small amount of pre-bend, with the center of the mast bowed slightly forward is also a common rigging setup. Here one might start with less than half the fore and aft measurement of the spar... so something on the order of 2-4 inches bend at the center.

Any rigger should be able to advise on this matter. It is not something peculiar to a given design, especially a middle of the road design like the Columbia.

Jim
Old 01-11-2017, 23:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Forward rake is not good. Are you sure that it is rake that's the problem?

First thing I'd do is take a look at how it's sitting in the water. Is it down by the bow?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nap Plank.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:59   #8

I was there in the evening, kind of dark and I thought it was down a bit at the bow. Not a lot but if I inspect again I’ll look closer at that. I think guy who lives on it said the boat had no inboard but he had a 25 hp outboard hanging off the transom. Lighter weight but farther from center.
Any way thanks for the input. I’ll try to give all a better look next time I’m able.
Old 02-11-2017, 16:17   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap plank View Post
I was there in the evening, kind of dark and I thought it was down a bit at the bow. Not a lot but if I inspect again I’ll look closer at that. I think guy who lives on it said the boat had no inboard but he had a 25 hp outboard hanging off the transom. Lighter weight but farther from center.
Any way thanks for the input. I’ll try to give all a better look next time I’m able.
27 ft LOA / 21ft LWL liveaboard. How much weight has he got up forrard in/under the v-berth?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast