Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2023, 14:25   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Mast collar, Spartite, wedges or ............

Need to replace a missing mast collar. What is the most popular approach? I know that there are two types of wedges, wood and rubber.
Thanks,
Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 17:41   #2

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Mast collar, Spartite, wedges or ............

I don't know about the most popular but, if it helps:

I sailed a Beneteau 57 with a newly stepped mast and re-fitted spartite collar from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Thomas USVI. During some rough weather the collar popped loose and there was some angst while attempts were made to re-seat it, ultimately unsuccessful. Rolled towels did an admirable job however, kept the leaks to a minimum and the mast stable for the remainder of the journey. The riggers who had stepped the mast flew in to re-pour the collar. As far as I know there were no further troubles.

There is more than one boat a my own club that uses wooden wedges covered by a rubber boot and secured top and bottom with various items from electrician's tape to large hose clamps. No complaints, easily repeated each season. Personally I'd use cedar wedges if I had to choose but my mast is deck stepped so I don't have this problem.

Other boats I have sailed on with both solutions had no problems. If you are planning to seasonally raise and lower your mast, or will need to do so to accommodate low clearance on a river passage, then I'd go with wedges and a boot. If you plan to leave it up for many years until the next time you need to major service then spartite is probably a good option.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 18:42   #3

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I’ve used wedges for a long time. Wedges have leaked because they shifted a long time. A few years back a rigger in Corpus Christi poured in something he said was like Spartite. Whatever it is, I don’t care- it has worked really well in the ten years since. According to him, the main mast will slip out of it - it’s kinda flexible- if I ever have to pull the main mast.
Old 12-01-2023, 19:52   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I'm a fan of Spartite. If you need to pull your mast regularly (or even if you don't) it's worth spending some time properly prepping the partners so that the Spartite releases from the boat. It should stay on the mast, not on the boat. When you pull the mast it should pop right out and then slot back in with no messing around.

If you pull the mast, or after some time, it will not be a water-tight seal any more. Just put a bead of silicone around it and you're good to go again.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 20:15   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have used wooden wedges. Actually I placed plywood blocks fore and aft. and wedges on the sides. The plywood blocks have "ears" to prevent them from sliding down and out. There are several so I can adjust the thickness in from and aft of the mast. I place wedges on the sides. The whole structure is held in place with stainless screws (not into the mast).

After blocking the mast I made a waterproof boot using neoprene wetsuit material and used long hose clamps to make it secure. Finally I made a Sunbrella boot over the whole thing to protect it from the sun.

This keeps the mast stable and the water out even when the decks are constantly awash in heavy seaways.

Tags
mast