Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2024, 19:37   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Mast Gates/Reefing tack points

My last boat (first boat I owned) had the sides of the gate blocked off with a bar on each side that was screwed to the mast, so the slides came all the way down to the boom. If you wanted to remove the mainsail you had to unscrew the plates.

My new boat has this block plate on one side that sides over so everything stacks on top of the gate. Is this normal? It makes it hard for me to reach the main halyard (Im 5’ 11” so not exactly short) harder to get the cover on and seems odd to have the clew tack points so high up instead of low as possible to the boom.

Just seem odd. Is this normal? Im tempted to remove this Isomat gate gizmo and rivet a aluminum bar on that right side so slides can all sit down lower.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4022.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	292451  
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2024, 20:21   #2

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Mast Gates/Reefing tack points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
My last boat (first boat I owned) had the sides of the gate blocked off with a bar on each side that was screwed to the mast, so the slides came all the way down to the boom. If you wanted to remove the mainsail you had to unscrew the plates.

My new boat has this block plate on one side that sides over so everything stacks on top of the gate. Is this normal? It makes it hard for me to reach the main halyard (Im 5’ 11” so not exactly short) harder to get the cover on and seems odd to have the clew tack points so high up instead of low as possible to the boom.

Just seem odd. Is this normal? Im tempted to remove this Isomat gate gizmo and rivet a aluminum bar on that right side so slides can all sit down lower.

Thoughts?

I'm no expert,but this looks like my John Mast.
Your pic shows the gate plate in "normal" IE:ready to sail with slides locked in mast track groove--except my slider plate would be set inwards/left slightly more-so that the left edge of plate would be exactly inline with right sides of mast track slot. Slides will now go freely up & down past the gate plate.
To remove my slides & sail from the mast,I loosen the screw,slide the plate hard right, & the sail slides will now pull out of the track gate.
Cheers/Len
Old 28-07-2024, 20:37   #3

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Mast Gates/Reefing tack points

It looks like you have the plate locked in the middle of its adjustment range. There appears to be a bit of room to move it outboard. Can you adjust it to allow the slides to pass without going so far as to allow them to come out of the track?

Name:   Mast Gate.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  25.1 KB
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast