Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 15:03   #1

Boat: Cheoylee Offshore 38, Southcoast 23
Mast Rigger in Saint Augustine

I have a Selden mast on sawhorses in my backyard, from a Hunter 41. Eric Sponberg says this mast will work on my CheoyLee Offshore 38.
As Selden would not answer my call or email, and the local most (Port Orange) Regional Selden Dealer is largely unresponsive as well, I am seeking a Mast Rigger in this nearby area...
Thank you,
Bill Davis
svmosaic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 21:32   #2

Boat: Roberts, Offshore 44
Hunters use that ridiculous B&R rig with the swept back spreaders, and reverse diagonals. I would guess that your boat was designed to use straight spreaders that are not swept back. While the moments of the section may very well be able to handle the loads of your boat, that I would guess is heavier than the Hunter, most likely your chain plates are not in the proper location for those swept back spreaders. In order to change the sweep angle of the spreaders you will have to change the spreader bases on the mast. These bases are more than likely welded to the extrusion. I have seen many of these weldments crack from the loads imposed not only by the spreaders, but they also incorporate the attachment points for the diagonals into them. Look at the welds very closely. If the extrusion is an Isomat, you may be able to get parts for it from Rig Rite. Or they may have a straight spreader base that can be bolted on. Or just leave the rig alone and move the chain plates aft and possibly inboard. either way you are looking at a lot of work. Only you can decide if it is worth it. One other thing, Hunters use a dis-continuous rig. This means lots of fitting on many short pieces of wire. Why they do this, makes no sence to me. The end result is the standing rigging costs twice as much as a much simpler continuous rig would cost. I could get you up and running, but I am in San Diego.
Valkyrie654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36   #3

Re: Mast Rigger in Saint Augustine

thanks for weighing in Valk. Since the local Selden mast guy didn't seem comfortable trying to determine if this mast would work on my boat, I happened across a renowned local naval architect here, Eric Sponberg. Eric compared my Hunter 41 mast to the original rigging/sail plan that I purchased from CheoyLee in Hong Kong, via Jonathon Cannon there.
It was determined that I can indeed use the same bolted on spreader sockets, in their exact position, although I will be sweeping the spreaders back forward to a standard athwartships position. Because the mast i somewhat light, I have to keep all the diamond stays in place as well as use running backstays when necessary.
I removed almost five feet of mast material from above the spinnaker sheave, to remove excess, unnecesary weight. Also, about a foot from the bottom, so the boom gooseneck falls exactly where the original did. Again, I don't have to change the position of any fittings or hardware.
All the math has been done. I need a rigger, with tools, to build the stays and such, as the mast came with none....
thanks again for your input
Bwd
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you have all the engineering done and just need to add the shrouds and stays you don't need a rigger with tools but can do it yourself using Stayloks or similar fittings. They assemble with a couple of wrenches. You can order the wire and fittings from Sailing Services in Miami. I have been dealing with them for over thirty years.

Another option, contact Mack Sails in Stuart FL. In addition to sails I believe they will do the full rigging as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35   #5

Well, doing things myself certainly has it's advantages. Like I'm usually pretty pleased with the results. But, in all honestly, fear itself has me seeking a rigger. Fear of failure, which in this case could be catastrophic and dangerous. Plus, there's the learning curve, which can get kind of expense, kind of quickly. There's a new Sailrite LSZ-1 in my livingroom which comes to mind...
After 6 years or so, I realize I have to sub some things out. Things I'm not good at. Topsides painting, interior cushions and rigging. Thus far, it's hard to even find somebody who wants to make just a few hundred dollars at a time. Seems everyone wants the 1000 dollar a week jobs. This lends itself to my doing it myself, sucking up the initial costs of tools and such, and learning another valuable skill. I will look into that Miami outfit and see if doing it myself is really worth the anxiety which accompanies fear and it's unknown quantities...
Thanks for your advice. I may well take it soon..
BillD
Old 11-02-2012, 14:11   #6

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

We've been extremely happy with service and work from/by Julian Crisp at SparManUSA. He's in Gainesville but does travel to jobs (he did our rerig in St. Mary's). Contact through his website, or PM me for phone and email.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 11-02-2012, 17:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well isn't that amazing. I live in Gainesville and did not even know there is a rigger in town.
Old 11-02-2012, 19:03   #8

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Who'da thought 'eh?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
Who'da thought 'eh?
Could be because I didn't even look but since I do my own rigging guess I would not have looked anyway. Even if I had wanted a rigger I would not have looked locally. Refitting a boat in Gainesville has been a bit frustrating. You would think that sourcing parts and supplies for a boat overhaul would be easy in Florida, but NOOOOO. This must be the only place in the whole state where it is a least 2 hours to the nearest marine supply store, even a West Marine.

I have gotten very good at mail order and the UPS guy knows me well. Problem with that, you're doing some project on the boat and discover you need a very simple part or tube of marine cauld to proceed. No problem, order one from Defender and wait a week it to arrive or drive 2 hours one way to St Augustine or Jacksonville or Tampa or even Orlando. I have figured out that I live two hours from almost everywhere, including the ocean.

Otherwise it is a great place to live.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:55   #10

Thanks all!! At DW's suggestion, I contacted Julian, the SparMan. He'll be stopping in here in look at my project, after he closes down his booth at The Boat Show
I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 15-02-2012, 06:59   #11

Glad to hear. Julian will treat you right.

Tell him Daz says hi and I'll see him next month when we get back.

Tags
mast