Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 18:27   #1

Mast Shape

I am looking at a 33.6 hunter 1996. The mast doesn't go straight up. It looks like it is arched aft. Is this normal or is the rigging torqued the wrong way or too much?
Hereweare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:54   #2

Boat: Westsail28
Re: Mast Shape

Looking on sailboatdata.com The designer has raked the main aft quite a bit. Looks to me the Main is the source or power for this boat. Foretriangle is pretty small. Bending the mast is used to shape the main more efficiently. I played with different adjustments on my boat to improve performance over the years, getting small or no improvement.
Now I raise sails, fiddle with them a little, Then enjoy myself.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:56   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What you're seeing is likely a combination of pre-bend, & induced bend. The former can be done when the spar is built, or at any time in it's life. And the latter is tuneable via the shrouds, stays, deck blocking, & step position. With the amount o bend varying from boat to boat (design) as well as on how a boat is tuned for prevailing conditions, & so that the spars work well in conjunction with the sails.

However there should be a set of measurements available which state what the normal range of bend on this boat's spar are. Available from; the designer/the original plans, owner's associations, tuning guides for the boat, or owner's associations.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:58   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

How many boats have masts that go straight up?

Most have some degree of rake (angle from the vertical) and prebend.

Most fore-and-aft sails (aka leg of mutton sails) are not triangles - even if they have 3 angles or corners. Sails are shaped.

Prebending a mast modifies (accentuates or diminishes) that sail shape. Bending underway further modifies the sail shape.

Some reading:

Mast Rake and Mast Prebend and Bend Sailboat Rig Tuning Guide

Bend for Speed | Sailing World
Old 05-09-2016, 19:00   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

That's called "pre-bend". Most masts have some degree of it, as well as some degree of "rake" Sorry, don't know how much of either is typical on a Hunter, but I'm sure the info is out there if you search on Hunter 33.6 and pre-bend.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast