Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 19:05   #1

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Mast slider fitting

As per the picture, the fitting on the main sail mast accepts the sliders. Problem is when dropping the mainsail this fitting has to be covered or the sliders pop out (as obvious) without some kind of cover. The sliders settle in about 2 feet below this fitting when the mainsail is dropped. The pic shows tap and drill holes where I placed some strips of aluminum to keep the sliders in, however, the sliders catch frequently on these (gap narrowing covers) under certain wind conditions or no wind even resulting in a very "not smooth" raising/lowering of the mainsail. If you have a similar set up and found a way to cover this slider fitting effectively, I would appreciate your solution. Thanks in advance....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4656.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	84093  
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 19:21   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Mast slider fitting

Should be pretty easy: you need to add some additional material to the inside of your retainer strips, arranged to be the same thickness as the cut-away part of the sail track. This could simply be additional narrow strips of aluminium epoxied to the existing strips. A close tolerance fit won't be required.

These would allow the slugs to pass by without hanging up, and thus solve your problem.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-06-2014, 20:50   #3

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
As I understand it the photo doesn't have the strips of aluminum that you installed. If so the solution is simple. Install strips that line up with the existing track. Also get some screws that you can undo with your hands, at least on one side so you can quickly remove the sail when necessary. Edit :what Jim said If it's hanging up because of the thickness change.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 22:00   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Is this opening above or below your boom?

That type of set up is usually just below the boom with a slider on the gooseneck of the boom so the boom can slide to the lower section and the sail removed.

Or, that is where a Tides Marine sail track insert was once installed, it sure looks long enough for the insert, like mine. https://www.tidesmarine.com/sailtrack

Also, I see a pin hole at the very top of the opening where it's supposed to stop any slides.
Old 28-06-2014, 22:13   #5

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I still think the best option is to pad the slot covers to be the same thickness as the mast. But another option would be to file the part on the mast where the transition is. And still another option would be to put some epoxy putty on the slot covers were the transition is. just do one side at a time. Make them a bit proud take them off and file them to perfection
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 02:46   #6

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Looks like same set up as mine.Note upper most hole has another hole lined up into mast,once you have fitted the slides past the top hole sit a bolt or whatever in the hole and into inner hole and this stops the sail and slides coming down any further.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 04:10   #7

Take a look at the Seldenmast web site for ideas. Look under the heading "sail entry" in their catalogue. I have used the simplest variant, a piece of of aluminium tube with a slot, for years successfully.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:24   #8

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

... much obliged...

... thanks for your comments.. problem solved
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast