Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 07:08   #1

Mast swap. What do I need to know?

Hi, I'm looking at a 41ft Lagoon with a cracked mast that needs replacing. I've been told about a used mast that's more than long enough (18.5m) but it's from a keel stepped monohul.

Can I trim it to length, and strip the fittings and spreaders from the old mast and fit them to the new mast? Or is it more complicated than that?

I think the cross secton will likely be a bit different so I might have to have a new foot fabricated, but happy to absorb that cost. Just want to know if I'm missing anything else from a design point of view...

Weight? Strenth? flexibility?... ?

Thanks
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 07:49   #2

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Mast swap. What do I need to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypag View Post
Hi, I'm looking at a 41ft Lagoon with a cracked mast that needs replacing. I've been told about a used mast that's more than long enough (18.5m) but it's from a keel stepped monohul.

Can I trim it to length, and strip the fittings and spreaders from the old mast and fit them to the new mast? Or is it more complicated than that?

I think the cross secton will likely be a bit different so I might have to have a new foot fabricated, but happy to absorb that cost. Just want to know if I'm missing anything else from a design point of view...

Weight? Strenth? flexibility?... ?

Thanks

You need to talk to a naval architect or a very competent rigger. In about 2 billable hours they’ll answer if you can use that mast or not.

The most important thing is the stiffness (“Ixx” and “Iyy”) in the fore/aft and port/stbd directions. This is a function of the cross sectional geometry of the mast.

The required stiffness for a mast is a function of the righting moment of the boat (since that’s what the mast is pushing against), the shroud and stay locations, number of spreaders, the sail plan, etc.

Since a multihull has a gigantic righting moment compared to a monohull, it’s unlikely a mast from a mono will be of sufficient stiffness. (Especially a keel-stepped one, due to pinning at the deck these are generally allowed to be a less stiff mast than if it were deck-stepped all else being equal.)

Buckling failure is what you should be worried about. Pay an expert and you’ll learn a bunch from them!
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:12   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

You may also want to check the luff groove. It would be a shame to step a new mast and then find out you needed new sails, or had to add a battslide track.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:36   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi, Captain Chris nailed this question exactly.
I don’t know anything else to add unless the question involves carbon fiber.
Then Chris is Twice as correct.
Happy trails to you,
Mark, a high five to Chris manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:22   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

It can be attempted given the extrusions are similar in specs - alloy grade, wall thickness, diameter, etc.

Look at spreaders and hardware layout (winches, stoppers, backing plates, etc.) - you do not want to drill one hundred new holes in it and plug 100 old ones.

You want a pro rigger handle this for you too.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
The most important thing is the stiffness (“Ixx” and “Iyy”) in the fore/aft and port/stbd directions. This is a function of the cross sectional geometry of the mast.

Thanks Chris, that's very helpful. You've drilled down to the heart of my question: If the alloy grade, footprint length and width, and wall thickness are the same, does the shape of the mast really make that much of a difference to the stiffness? I assume that when calculating published Ixx and Iyy specs the manufacturers assume an oval shape extrusion, and aren't getting into finite element analysis of the precise extrusion shape.
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:39   #7

How badly cracked? Sailboat masts are beefed up, sleeved, modded all the time. Especially in the racing community.
I had the furling mast on my 47' mono reinforced. They put an outer sleeve on it, used structural epoxy bonding and aircraft rivets all over the sleeve.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:11   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Positive. At times a mast can be saved by welding, riveting, etc. Not all cracks are fatal.

Broken masts are sleeved and reused on a regular basis.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Positive. At times a mast can be saved by welding, riveting, etc. Not all cracks are fatal.

Broken masts are sleeved and reused on a regular basis.

barnakiel
And many new masts are sleeved to start with on larger boats!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:31   #10

I would go for either repairing the existing mast or buying a new one rather than trying, and maybe failing, to cut the mast to size. As other have suggested there is a lot more to it. In fact too much.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 11:58   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

Cat masts have a 'diamond' shrouds. These keep the mast in form and create pre-bend. Find a cat near you and look at it.
IMHO a mono mast would not fit.

Tags
mast