Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2009, 19:32   #1

Boat: prairie32 cutter
Mast Track

I have a mast that has a plastic like material as the mainsail track. It fits into the mast as though it were a replacement for the orig track. Problem is the plastic has begun to chip out so my main comes unziped. I have made 2 repairs which has gotten me down from Ak to Or but am worried about going any further till I find a more perm fix. I have looked around and talked with riggers and no one has seen this previously. anyone out there have any info? thanks. PS no clue as to the manufacture of the mast. topgallant32@gmail.com
TOPGALLANT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 19:55   #2

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
I am sorry to hear that your track is chipping. We recently purchased something similar, but for an external mainsail track. Ours is made of high molecular weight poly, which is supposed to be UV stable. I cannot remember the maker, but I ordered it through our sailmaker. Omar Sailmakers in Beaufort can help you if you call them. Also, I would think a search would bring something up. Be prepared for a pricey estimate; the track I got was $18 a foot. All I can say is thank goodness for low aspect ratio masts.

Good luck with your search!
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 21:11   #3

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
We have a 'Strong Track' built by Tides Marine, which may fit your description. Their website is here: Tides Marine Dripless Shaft Seals - Rudder Bearings Seals and Sail Track Ours is a 'plastic like' track that fits up the original sail-slug groove in the mast.

We've been real pleased with our system and have had no problems since installing about 5-years ago. But in case yours is the same system... hopefully the contact and info can help.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 21:28   #4

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
it sounds like you may have the tides marine strong track system as already mentioned by others,i have installed this on a customers 47ft yawl about 10yrs ago and they have been very happy with it,however,when we had the boat in the shop last spring and were going over the mast i noticed little cracks running around the tracks,no function issues yet though we will keep an eye on it.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast