Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 05:31   #1

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house
Mast wanted

Hi forum friends,

We would like to replace our wooden mast with an Aluminium one.
If anyone knows of a mast suitable for a Mikelson 50 (like the Hudson Force) please give us a heads up.
The mast is 68' keel stepped.

Thanks a lot!
Ron
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:37   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Mast wanted

Hi, just a tip. The more detail which you post about what you need, specifically, in a tube, the better the responses you'll get.
Especially things like what you need as far as moments of inertia (Iyy, & Ixx), aka it's stiffness. In addition to what attachment points would be nice to have, & also what would rule out a possible tube (and why).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:56   #3

Boat: C&C Newport 41

You might have good luck visiting your local boat yards as many yards get stuck with boats over the years and end up with a handful of masts laying around.

Another option is to speak with the marine salvage guys in your area. Generally, they are after the parts they can carry off the boat and whatever lead they can collect from the keel and the mast is more trouble than it is worth.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 16:47   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you could come up with a make, & model, or the spar maker & which of their tubes it is, that'd go a long way towards letting folks know what you need also. Plus, with the aforementioned information, it'd be easy to look up the Iyy & Ixx numbers for the extrusion.
Armed with the latter, you're not limited to any particular manufacturer.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 04:14   #5

Thanks for your replies!

The mast we have now is the original wooden mast.
I know that modern Alu masts for the same size (length) boat are not sufficient as they are too weak.
The boat weighs 28 tons.
As for the rest of the parameters, I'll get back.

Thanks again!!
Old 28-10-2014, 04:31   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I doubt if the reduction in weight will have much effect on the sailing trim of 28 tons, but it does on 11tons and 41 ft. just sayin'.
Old 28-10-2014, 04:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I doubt if the reduction in weight will have much effect on the sailing trim of 28 tons, but it does on 11tons and 41 ft. just sayin'.
The problem is the strength of the mast. It has to take the inertial forces that a 28 ton boat creates.
Though the current mast weighs almost 2 tons, a lighter mast won't effect her that much (as you said).
Old 28-10-2014, 05:20   #8

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
Thanks for your replies!

The mast we have now is the original wooden mast.
I know that modern Alu masts for the same size (length) boat are not sufficient as they are too weak.
The boat weighs 28 tons.
As for the rest of the parameters, I'll get back.

Thanks again!!
You keep mentioning length when that is probably not the most important dimension. You will need to get a 68' length of mast with suitable cross section dimensions and wall thickness to get the needed strength. Perhaps someone here can help figure out exactly what those should be with the numbers they've asked for.

I shopped a lot for masts for some smaller boats, one 36' ketch and one much smaller. It was my experience that all of the dimensions were reasonably relative to the others. If I found a mast suitable in length, then the cross section dimensions and wall thickness were adequate for that length of mast. You're right that this cross sections for aluminum masts will be larger than a wood one of comparable length, but I've found that generally the math has already been done for you. If you find a 68' stick, it will probably work.

Good luck finding one, I didn't see anything that long on the used market while I was shopping.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wanted