Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 04:26   #16

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Masthead Access Methods

Does anyone else use their windlass to go aloft? I've been doing it that way for awhile and it works great and is super fast.

Usually I go, but I'm a pretty big guy and honestly I'd rather be the one in control of the windlass strictly for safety sake.

I usually use the main halyard as the lifting line and then a spare jib or spin halyard that someone else uses to belay for a safety line.

The halyard is led down to the base of the mast and then I use a snatch block with spectra loop around the mast winches. This snatch block turns the line and leads it forward to the horizontal capstan on my Lofrans windlass. I run the windlass with my foot and keep my eyes on whoever is aloft, same thing with my safety belayer. It's a total non event.

I keep a Petzl $50 harness aboard, stows easy and is reasonably comfortable for maybe 30 minutes for me after that my legs start to hurt.

On my 37' boat, the Lofrans Tigres is a bit overkill but not in this situation.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 05:22   #17

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Masthead Access Methods

Well the last time I went up with the windlass the windlass got two or three riding turns so I had to take my weight while he fluffed about.

Looked down to see why he was getting the riding turns and the dick was standing holding the line with one hand, staring at the boat next door and had hand in pocket getting more nuts to chew on. Enough said?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aloft, anchor light, ascend, climb, climb mast, halyard, head, mast, masthead, sheave, vhf, Wind indicator