Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 04:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper
Measuring for a genoa pole

Hi All

I have a regular spinnaker and large spinnaker pole.
So far I don't use them and am looking at other cruising options.

These questions are only about the pole , as I would rather it be lighter and more manageable if for genoa only use.

My sailing conditions are in Cyprus and Greek Islands.

1. How to you determine the length and diameter of a pole required for just holding the genoa out?

2. Is there any sense/use for having one that is expandable?

3. If I end up getting a code 0 or cruising spinnaker, then is there any pole use ever in those options?
rwoodnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 13:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Measuring for a genoa pole

Rather than regurgitating it all, questions 1 and 2 were comprehensively covered here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-203871.html

And question3 here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dw-197866.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 14:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodnz View Post
I would rather it be lighter and more manageable.
Carbon poles are (usually) notably lighter (tube is like 1/2 the weight) and more manageable. Bought new can be expensive, but there are often ways to get/make one for less than a new aluminum pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodnz View Post
If I end up getting a code 0 or cruising spinnaker, then is there any pole use ever in those options
Yea, we used a pole on a zero, (but better) downwind we also used the zero to leeward free-flying and the pole on jib to windward.

Cruising spin, you can use a pole, but I guess most people do not.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 15:05   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Not a fan of the collapsible poles: they collapse when you don't want them to. I wouldn't have one.

As to length, the same length of the spinnaker pole, and you might be able to make one up with a slightly smaller diameter, for ease of handling [check the size of the fittings, first], but the same length as the spinnaker pole. Of course, then you have two spinnaker poles to store.

We stow ours up the mast, but it would be vulnerable in a dismasting: might not have anything for a jury rig. There are pluses and minuses to most boat decisions. We elected for convenience, but there is that possible downside. Most conservative is on deck storage.

Ann
Old 28-11-2019, 20:25   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The usual length is around the same as the J dimension of your boat. If you plan to pole out large genoas or a zero, perhaps 10-15% longer than J would be good.

And I echo Ann's thoughts on adjustable poles... we've seen a lot of busted ones over the years.

Jim
Old 29-11-2019, 13:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are the typical modern cruiser you'll have 135% furling headsail to pole out. Would want a pole that was 15-20% longer than the 'J' measurement to get a better set to the sail when poled out. A stock length 'J' measurement pole won't spread the headsail out enough for best DDW performance without furling in a bunch of sail area.

Had a collapsible whisker pole for our 13.75' 'J' boat on the sail to Hawaii. The pole pretzeled when out about 18'. Don't know why the pole failed other than it just couldn't take the compression load with that extension. It did make for a sweet setting sail with that extension while it lasted. Fortunately had picked up a 10% longer than 'J' pole cheap as a backup which proved a god send for the 15 day DDW passage. Sail didn't set as well with the longer extended whisker pole but the pole didn't break and got me there. Actually took a couple turns on the furler to make the sail set better with the fixed length pole.

To sail DDW you'll need a pole to keep an asymmetrical spinnaker from collapsing. Wouldn't leave home without some way to pole out a headsail. Also a big fan of fixed length poles. They are way stronger and more reliable than a collapsible whisker pole.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa