Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2024, 18:23   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47
Measuring rig tension

The Loos PT 3 is clearly the dominant tension measurement gauge for standing rigging up to 3/8", but it is expensive

Any reliable alternative (other then the Selden "measure stretch" technique)
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 18:41   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Measuring rig tension

No, I do not know a non-professional alternative to Loos.
Yes, they are expensive to buy, around $300 in Oz. But then again, in the bigger scheme of things, it is not that much. I got 2 sizes and lend them out to others, and at times they get returned with a bottle of wine .
Maybe you check in your marina/club if anyone has one or two of these.
Here is some info:
https://loosnaples.com/how-tos/tension-gauges/
Old 14-04-2024, 18:50   #3

Or ebay. I got my "tension meter" for $15 on ebay. It was a very expensive model used for the cell phone tower industry, but no market for them so they go cheap. I had to calibrate myself, but maybe this is an option if you're looking for "very inexpensive"
Old 14-04-2024, 18:59   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

We have never been too concerned about measuring the actual tension of our shrouds & stays. On our J/36 we would get the mast stepped and snug up the rig so it was straight. Then we'd go out sailing and adjust things to put the fore& aft curve we wanted while tightening (or loosening) the shrouds to keep the mast straight. (Obviously adjusting the leeward shrouds and then tacking to do to the other side.) We could then mark or note the turnbuckle threads to repeat the settings for the next season. On our Sabre402 we do the same. I do have a Loos gauge that I use for a 505 dinghy. There are tuning guides for 505's that specify settings for the forestay and shrouds, which are all adjustable under way. There are no turnbuckles, however, so repeating the settings is easier with the Loos guage. Are there similar tuning guides for a Garcia Pasoa 47? Once the mast is straight, the rigging is strong enough to keep it that way. Does measuring the tension make a difference?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 19:21   #5

Twice I did the techniques where you measure two points while tensioning and calculate the stretch of the specific diameter. It took forever and you end of tightening up the rigging anyway when underload. Just buy a Loos to get it all of them within the same tension and save hours the hours of measuring for sailing. I use mine surprisingly more often than I thought I would. Being able to unload the rig to do maintenance and tension it back up to what it was is nice.
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 20:41   #6

I’ve used the Selden folding rule method and prefer it to gauges on cruising boats. Cheap, easy, accurate, and works on any size wire. On a racing boat where tension is adjusted regularly, a Loos is worth the investment.

Page 32

https://support.seldenmast.com/files.../595-540-E.pdf
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 01:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Loos 'Economy' tension gauges sell for less than halft the price, of the Professional [PT-x] models.
# 91-Model A Cable Sizes 3/32", 1/8", 5/32"
# 90-Model B Cable Sizes 3/16", 7/32", 1/4", 9/32"

How to use 90 & 91 Series Tension Gauges ➥ https://loosnaples.com/how-tos/tension-gauges/90-91/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote