Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 12:21   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Milwaukee 0721 angle drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
The battery only last long enough to get him halfway up the mast??
Sounds like new battery time. Or diet time.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 13:44   #32

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

In response to being able to get a guy only half-way up the mast with one battery, I must have weak or shot ones. Mast height is 65' and crew weight 200. If a 250 lb guy goes up twice, I need the Lithium Ion jobs! But the Milwaukee tool is a hoss!

Mine came with a charger than runs on 110V.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 14:28   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
In response to being able to get a guy only half-way up the mast with one battery, I must have weak or shot ones. Mast height is 65' and crew weight 200. If a 250 lb guy goes up twice, I need the Lithium Ion jobs! But the Milwaukee tool is a hoss!

Mine came with a charger than runs on 110V.
Thanks Just seemed with the winch and the drill getting up the mast shouldn't be a problem. Of course I'm 165 lbs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 14:36   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys, here I am, your 5'2" frail female who uses the -21 that Jim and I brought back from the last time we were in the States.

The downside: when the boat is lurching around in a seaway, I find its mass difficult to control when trying to get the bit in the winch in a controlled way, as I don't want to scratch the paint if I slip with it. This was on the wind, the genoa sheet winch, in a seaway with cross seas. The resulting vile cursing woke Jim during his offwatch! So, in those conditions, I struggle with it. Not so at anchor or tied up, though. However, it is a powerful tool, and I prefer to use it on the slower speed.

On the plus side: our usage is for trips up the mast for Jim, and for furling the genoa or staysail, and for sheeting in the genoa. (The staysail is so much less area, it is much easier to sheet in by hand, and only occasionally needs the Milly Tool (as we call it) to finish off.) The work it does makes sailing physically easier on me.

For the OP: I would say that if your wife is someone who is basically comfortable with tools, she'll give it a try and see how it works for you guys. I found it intimidating at first, till i learned ways of handling it that felt under control for me. If you are fair weather sailors with few time constraints, she may never have to use it in the kinds of conditions we do, and she may really appreciate the tool for the work it does that saves her shoulders. I would not have the problem with it that I do, I think, if I could comfortably kneel on the downhill side, and brace there, but since my bilateral knee replacements, kneeling is something I avoid due to the discomfort.

Hope this helps.

Ann
Old 11-04-2016, 15:37   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

It is a great tool. This site often has factory reconditioned units for sale:Milwaukee 0721-21 28V Cordless M28 Lithium-Ion 1-2 in. Right Angle Drill with Case .
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:13   #36

Boat: Oyster 66

Consider the top model Makita drill. It's not a right angle drill, but a normal drill/driver, so is better for other jobs. It has the same torque as the Milwaukee. Is faster and lighter and cheaper. I have one and can recommend it. A quality product.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote