Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 15:14   #16

Boat: Woodward 47
Re: Milwaukee 28 v Winch Buddy!! help.

Can you tell me the model number for this Milwaukee. I keep seeing only 18 volt. I don't think that unit could do the job.
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 16:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

18v tools works fine as far as output/power to do what you need on a boat. Doubt that you'd need a higher voltage and a 18v and 28v battery of the same physical size will do the same amount of work.

Milwaukee has at least 3 different capacity 18v batteries. The 2 amp one that comes with their typical drill and most of their tools has limited capacity. It's fine for intermittent all day use on a regular drill but dies quickly in a constant run tool or most things you want to run for more 15-20 minutes straight. There is a larger 5 amp battery which would probably be fine for winching someone up the mast that they sell as an option or add on for their carpenter tools. Their garden tools come with an extra large capacity 9 amp battery which lasts a long time. I can do the detail work with the battery weed whacker and clean up with the blower on our 1/2 acre lawn and still have plenty of power left. Their different 18v batteries are interchangeable. There are two different 18v chargers. They both charge the batteries. The standard one works okay with the 2 and 5 amp batteries but will a long time to charge the 9 amp. The high capacity charger will charge the large battery way faster.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 16:34   #18

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Looking at the Milwaukee site I found this:
M18 FUEL™ HOLE HAWG® Right Angle Drill w/ QUIK-LOK™ | Milwaukee Tool

It is about 1/3 lighter (6.9lbs vs 10.44 lbs)

Or, with a conventional chuck at 7.4 lbs:
M18 FUEL™ HOLE HAWG® 1/2" Right Angle Drill | Milwaukee Tool

I've requested the torque figure as it's newer technology but so far, after 3 e-mails, that info is still a secret.

If it has the power, it would be easier to handle.
Neil
As I am considering one of these, I searched several websites. I found these torque figures for the Milwaukee right angle drills:
........................model.......inch/lbs.......NM (newton meter)
model: 18 Volt.... 2709.............371........42
model: 28 Volt ......021...........1081......122
Old 13-09-2018, 17:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Milwaukee makes two heavy duty right angle drills. The cheaper mid $300 with battery and charger one is 28v and is the one pictured above with the jacket. It looks like a standard drill with the right angle feature grafted on. The battery looks to be the same size as the 18v so probably very similar torque and run times as the 18v tool.

The 18v is called the Hole Hawg and looks to be designed from the ground up as a right angle drill. It carries on the Hole Hawg name from the corded one that has been every plumber and electricians go to tool since before I got into building and that's been a long time. Note they bill the tool as an electrician's drill which I assume means it isn't designed to drill large plumber sized holes. There is a top handle on the drill that looks like it would be real handy when fitting to a winch. It's a pricey tool at mid $500s with battery and charger.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 17:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricator-ken View Post
Can you tell me the model number for this Milwaukee. I keep seeing only 18 volt. I don't think that unit could do the job.
Google search for
Milwaukee right angle 28 volt 1/2 inch drill. Home Depot and many other places. Amazon may get you a deal if you find a factory rebuilt unit. Be sure you turn the right angle part to 2:1 reduction or you will not have Enough torque. Keep it dry, especially the battery pack. It is loaded with stuff necessary for lithium charging.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...FU5_wQoduAgOrw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8EFC472-A122-4FA7-9727-451B30EAB7B1.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	177337  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 20:19   #21

Boat: DEHLER 39

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-206513-2.html
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 02:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

I own the Milwaukee right angle drill. Last year it developed a problem with the trigger switch and it would not stop. This a scarey situation to be in if you’re cranking somebody up or furling a headsail. You can’t just pull it out because of torque being applied especially if the person using it is not very strong. The easiest, but still difficult thing to do if there is torque on it, is pull the battery.

I called Milwaukee and the first tech I got said there is a problem with “brake” and to send it in for service. I’m in the Med and that is not practical. The second tech said it sounded like the trigger switch so I replaced it it. There was no brake.

My memory says this is a discontinued product and parts are hard to find despite the fact it’s still sold new. The Hole Hawg however is current product, no brushes and according to Milwaukee it’s torque is dependent on which battery you use. (This I don’t understand fully.)

At this point I have not reestablished trust in my drill so I use it sparingly. If I was buying now I’d buy the Hole Hawg.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 03:57   #23

Boat: DEHLER 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
I own the Milwaukee right angle drill. Last year it developed a problem with the trigger switch and it would not stop. This a scarey situation to be in if you’re cranking somebody up or furling a headsail. You can’t just pull it out because of torque being applied especially if the person using it is not very strong. The easiest, but still difficult thing to do if there is torque on it, is pull the battery.

I called Milwaukee and the first tech I got said there is a problem with “brake” and to send it in for service. I’m in the Med and that is not practical. The second tech said it sounded like the trigger switch so I replaced it it. There was no brake.

My memory says this is a discontinued product and parts are hard to find despite the fact it’s still sold new. The Hole Hawg however is current product, no brushes and according to Milwaukee it’s torque is dependent on which battery you use. (This I don’t understand fully.)

At this point I have not reestablished trust in my drill so I use it sparingly. If I was buying now I’d buy the Hole Hawg.
Interesting in that the Ultimate Cranker folk claim the Hole Hawg is not suitable for the job.

Did you perchance read the Ultimate Cranker thread?
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch