Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 16:38   #31

Re: Milwaukee Right Angle Drill with Harken Chuck

I have a "winchrite" power winch that I bought when I separated my shoulder just before an extended cruise. It has similar specs as the hole hawg in terms of torque but is considerably cheaper, lighter, and appears more weatherproof. Some people say they are useless, many others swear by them.
As it turned out I didn't need it and to date it still sits in cockpit locker, unused.
In terms of mast climbing, one piece of indispensable kit I use is a simple loop of line that goes from my harness, then once around the mast and back to the harness with about 6 inches of slack As I am winched up, I slide the loop up the mast ahead of me at about head level. If the halyard or whatever I am going up on breaks or slips, the loop around the mast instantly catches and checks your fall. You have to stop at spreaders and reposition the line but this is a small price for the added safety.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:09   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I have a "winchrite" power winch that I bought when I separated my shoulder just before an extended cruise. It has similar specs as the hole hawg in terms of torque but is considerably cheaper, lighter, and appears more weatherproof.
while the torque specs are indeed similar, the current price for the Winchrite is 599 UKP verse the above reported 489 USD for the Milwaukee. The Millies exchangeable batteries are an additional advantage IMO, plus if needed, it is a very useful drill in its original role.

Jim
Old 13-09-2017, 19:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
while the torque specs are indeed similar, the current price for the Winchrite is 599 UKP verse the above reported 489 USD for the Milwaukee. The Millies exchangeable batteries are an additional advantage IMO, plus if needed, it is a very useful drill in its original role.

Jim
You are right about the price. Sorry for the misinformation. I assumed it was cheaper because why else would i have bought it??? I think now the problem with the Millie was that it was going to take an extra week to arrive and I didn't want to delay my trip any further.

Thanks for the fact check. Too easy to fire off a reply without really thinking.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 01:02   #34

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I have one and it's a godsend. I'm sure it will add ten years to my sailing life (I'm 70). It's the SECOND most useful piece of gear aboard - after the auto-pilot.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:46   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The right angle part of it also has a gear reduction, you can turn it around of you wanted to speed it up, but would lose torque of course. If anything I wish the reduction were even greater
Bumping an old thread because I have a question on this gear reduction but.

I just bought the drill and the Ultimate Cranker bit separately. So I need to remove the chuck and replace it with the Cranker. The instructions with the drill are somewhat obtuse as to the gear reduction.

I take it that the gear reduction is a piece that comes out and can be reversed? Or is it a single payer eve with two separate mounting locations? Or something different yet again?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 16:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Bumping an old thread because I have a question on this gear reduction but.

I just bought the drill and the Ultimate Cranker bit separately. So I need to remove the chuck and replace it with the Cranker. The instructions with the drill are somewhat obtuse as to the gear reduction.

I take it that the gear reduction is a piece that comes out and can be reversed? Or is it a single payer eve with two separate mounting locations? Or something different yet again?
The reduction gear is in the right angle. Loosen the two bolts clamping it on and, with the chuck removed, pull it off and turn it around. My experience is you want the lower gearing. Even that is pretty fast. I have two speed winches and run the drill in reverse to keep the winch speed reasonable.
Old 03-10-2019, 17:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
The reduction gear is in the right angle. Loosen the two bolts clamping it on and, with the chuck removed, pull it off and turn it around. My experience is you want the lower gearing. Even that is pretty fast. I have two speed winches and run the drill in reverse to keep the winch speed reasonable.
That thing is the second most valuable thing on the Scorpius - after the autopilot. It promises to add five years to my sailing life.
Old 03-10-2019, 18:19   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks for the explanation. The manual was pretty vague about it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 19:49   #39

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I am bumping this thread as I wanted to ask the torque question. My question on the Milwaukee drill is how is it possible that pdf(user manual) supplied with the device does not list torque ratings? How does one know what can and cannot be lifted using a 1/2" chuck if torque ratings is not listed? OK so someone tried to lift a person and it works, but did anyone figure out how much torque that is at the 1/2" chuck? Winch multiplies it but still I'd like to know the ratings of what i am about to buy for $400+.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 21:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I am bumping this thread as I wanted to ask the torque question. My question on the Milwaukee drill is how is it possible that pdf(user manual) supplied with the device does not list torque ratings? How does one know what can and cannot be lifted using a 1/2" chuck if torque ratings is not listed? OK so someone tried to lift a person and it works, but did anyone figure out how much torque that is at the 1/2" chuck? Winch multiplies it but still I'd like to know the ratings of what i am about to buy for $400+.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lLcVSO5224qnIZ :

Milwaukee® M28™ 0721-20 Cordless Right Angle Drill, 1/2 in Keyed Chuck, 28 VDC, 1081 in-lb Torque, 0 to 400/0 to 1000 rpm No-Load, 18-1/2 in OAL, Lithium-Ion Battery
Old 26-03-2022, 21:26   #41

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit

I am glad this is still alive. We were looking at the 18V M18 R.A. drill and the wife thinks even that is a bit heavy for her. Would it do the job? Similarly to the last post. The specs do not include the torque rating.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 01:08   #42

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
I am glad this is still alive. We were looking at the 18V M18 R.A. drill and the wife thinks even that is a bit heavy for her. Would it do the job? Similarly to the last post. The specs do not include the torque rating.
it's pretty easy to find really. quick google search brought up this link

https://www.totaltools.com.au/127967...only-m18cbldd0

which has full spex n shows torque as 57nm (that's 504 in-lbs)

btw, i think milwaukee still use lithium ion batteries (not LiFePO4). aren't these a fire risk ?

cheers,
Old 27-03-2022, 02:02   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post

btw, i think milwaukee still use lithium ion batteries (not LiFePO4). aren't these a fire risk ?

cheers,
Well, that's about 1/2 the torque of the 28 V model, and IMO not up to the job.
And yes, the Milwaukee does use Li ion batteries, as do all the others that I am familiar with. The Millie charger seems to be well designed and we've had no issues with overheating or such in the 8 years we've had ours. Just had the batteries repacked a nd they seem to be working as new again ( not a scientific evaluation, just a casual observation.

Jim
Old 27-03-2022, 05:01   #44

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post

cheers,
Well, that one is not the Right Angle version but I imagine it is a similar torque: 57 nm. We are only planning to use it in our Harken 2-speed winches for jib sheets and halyards, not for lifting people.

Fire risk is a concern. Is fire risk mainly during charging or all the time? I heard of radio control hobbyists making special enclosures for charging batteries.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 18:37   #45

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
Well, that one is not the Right Angle version but I imagine it is a similar torque: 57 nm. We are only planning to use it in our Harken 2-speed winches for jib sheets and halyards, not for lifting people.

Fire risk is a concern. Is fire risk mainly during charging or all the time? I heard of radio control hobbyists making special enclosures for charging batteries.
This is exactly why I am trying to get a dewalt 20V version. All my cordless tools are dewalt so i figured one lithium charger. We even bough a mini dewalt vacuum that runs off of 20V battery.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Harken