Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 06:05   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Missing Batten - OK without It?

Just want to double check - I have a batten missing from the upper pocket on my jib. After hoisting sail the other day the sail "spit out" the batten and fortunately it landed right at my feet!! Glad I at least got to save it....

Problem is that the web strap that goes over the batten end and holds it in the pocket (via velcro) has worn through so now the batten can slip out of its pocket.

I know sail shape is affected a bit but assume that there are no other concerns about continuing on with the missing batten.

Correct or is there something I should be concerned about? (Yes I've inspected the other battens and they are fine).

Old 14-02-2010, 06:38   #2

just sail shape. battens on your jib? wow, pretty high tech...no furling eh? How are the keys right now? I'll be headed that way soon...hope we dont freeze!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 06:54   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
If the batten does NOT support roach, you can go without in until a repair is possible. If there is roach to support, then you might stretch the sail badly and will need a re-cut and repair afterwards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Duct Tape, 'till you get a chance to fix it right?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 08:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Perhaps some sail tape as a temporary solution?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 08:59   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
The only other problem I can think of is that the leach line will have to be tighter than normal or the sail might flutter. I have been running without battens for quite some time now. I can't get the battens to Mexico bc they are over 6' long and they want to charge me extra baggage fees.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 05:51   #7

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to scrounge up some leather to sew over the webbing and make a temporary repair. It's still got 1/4 inch on each side of the hole made by the batten, so perhaps I can strengthen the webbing enough temporarily.

Sailing yesterday in light winds - no issues, except that it's COLD (63 degrees, N winds). Great weather for Chicago this time of year..... but not for Key West!
Old 15-02-2010, 06:17   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Mark has a camberspar jib, which has an aluminum half-wishbone boom running through it and full battens supporting a larger than normal roach. The sail is sprung tight into a foil shape when raised (think windsurfer sail).

Mark, I think you will be OK missing the upper batten, although the sail shape and twist up there will not be ideal. The roach is not so great at the top of the sail as it is along the midline. I wouldn't fly it in >20kt winds though, as I think it might stretch the unsupported area.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:29   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Geeze Mark--It's been so damned cold around here (37º this AM) and so windy, you must be a family of polar bears! Some friends of ours in the Keys advised us that the Coast Guard would not allow the Fast Ferry from Ft. Myers to enter the port the other day due to the wind. Where are you at this point?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Geeze Mark--It's been so damned cold around here (37º this AM) and so windy, you must be a family of polar bears! Some friends of ours in the Keys advised us that the Coast Guard would not allow the Fast Ferry from Ft. Myers to enter the port the other day due to the wind. Where are you at this point?
We're just hanging out in Key West, waiting for warmer weather. Canceled our Tortugas trip for this week as it's going to be 60 degrees-ish all week, north winds. 2 darned cold for Florida!!!
Old 15-02-2010, 06:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Mark has a camberspar jib, which has an aluminum half-wishbone boom running through it and full battens supporting a larger than normal roach. The sail is sprung tight into a foil shape when raised (think windsurfer sail).

Mark, I think you will be OK missing the upper batten, although the sail shape and twist up there will not be ideal. The roach is not so great at the top of the sail as it is along the midline. I wouldn't fly it in >20kt winds though, as I think it might stretch the unsupported area.

Mark
Thanks Mark.

We're seriously considering heading to the Bahamas now in search of warmer climates..... probably too late to catch ya though. Happy trails!
Old 15-02-2010, 09:08   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
It was 66* in Long Island Bahamas yesterday. Taking off for Puerto Rico tomorrow to look for warmer weather.

BTW, I just went out and looked at our jib top batten pocket and it is starting to chafe through! Hope it lasts to PR where I can fix it better.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 22:07   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hmm... surely you have some webbing, needle & waxed thread at hand? It's a quick fix and like Barnie said, any amount of roach in that area (and there is or there wouldn't be a batten that high) will lead to loss of shape when sailing without the batten.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 05:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hmm... surely you have some webbing, needle & waxed thread at hand? It's a quick fix and like Barnie said, any amount of roach in that area (and there is or there wouldn't be a batten that high) will lead to loss of shape when sailing without the batten.

cheers,
Nick.
I've got 2 out of 3.......... heading to the chandlery today for the webbing
Old 16-02-2010, 13:03   #15
CLOD

Boat: none
I sailed a month or so without the upper batten in my main without any "problems" (couldn't find it).

Since when is 60 degrees cold!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote