Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 06:20   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Mizzen Boom Rigging

OK, now you've done it! You've given me an excuse to use MSPaint.

Here is an adaptation of the idea by Mainstreet, the idea being you can oversheet the mizzen when pointing in light air by tightening the lines on the cleats on the coaming (this is my budget friendly version using existing hardware, rather than expensive jamb cleats or the like). The fact that I have never seen this option on a mizzen suggests maybe mizzens won't perform well in this way, I don't know, I've only ever sailed sloops.

Although I think you could simply make a bridle over the tiller and use the existing block with cleat at the apex of the bridle, I think it would be unwieldy and hard to get the sheet into the jaws of the cleat without a lot of tension on the whole system, which is why I favour the dinghy method.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridle.png
Views:	154
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	119666  
Old 27-02-2016, 06:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
If the pushpit is solid enough, you might consider mounting a bar between the current attachment points and putting a traveller on that. http://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=3914
Or seeing if you can rig a self-tacker, such as: Self-tacker in action : Seldén Mast AB
And I echo what GILow said about running the sheet forward to the mast; then you can lead it to the cockpit beside the mainsheet.
Ooh, nice! I shouldn't be looking at that stuff...

Here's the money-is-no-object option. This could bolt across the back and leave space underneath for the tiller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-1dodger_trav.gif
Views:	131
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	119669  
Old 27-02-2016, 07:23   #18

Boat: Schooner scow

Mizzensail on ketches are rather finniky creatures. I've sailed ketches for a few years. The mizzen perform very well in beam reaches and in broad reaches to about 10 points off the windward. When close hauled or beating, they are best furled because they become fouled in the draft of the main. If you sheet them in past centreline to counter the back winding they produce weather helm that when corrected by rudder position, actually stalls the boat.

So mizzensails are great in a reach and when a mizzen stay sail is used in concert with one on a reach somewhat abaft the beam that combination is amazing!
Mainstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:21   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, I have to confess I've never been involved with a ketch, so that's the caveat...

RC, given the description of how that mizzen sail is best used, thanks, Mainstreet, and that presumably the PO used it the way it is, attached to the lifeline ends (!), maybe he only used it when the boat was already set up for reaching, and it is easy to shift it to leeward, then raise the sail?

That hypothesis would account for the way it was rigged.

So, what if you added another, similar block and tackle, to the other lifeline end, and ease off or cast off the one when you haul in on the other? Seems like you'd want to be able to locate it amidships for use as a riding sail, too.

I sure hope those life line ends are strong! Maybe they are, since the PO did it that way?????
A.
Old 27-02-2016, 12:44   #20

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Morning everyone at least it is here,

Yes Ann, i think just putting another one of what is there on the other side would get me going. And then its pretty much what Mainstreet sketched.

Given how everything by way of rigging was frozen on the mizzen and all ropes were chaffed and stiff, id say the previous owner (a travelling GP) never used the mizzen. But, what your suggesting makes sense. Ive only tried using it on reaches.

Loadsman, the problem with putting a travellor on the pushpit is that we use the stern to get on and off the dingy by way of a platform around the rudder.

jim, now ive seen your diagram, i suspect thats what my 'rigger' guy was trying to say. I had him have a look Friday and finish off some mast 'gates' which im covering up to make solo sailing easier.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 13:34   #21

Hi RC, what did Jim suggest? I'd love to see.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-02-2016, 13:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi RC, what did Jim suggest? I'd love to see.

Matt

Sorry Matt, it was your disgram in post 16. I couldnt follow him (the rigger) talking about it. But now ive seen your diagram, im betting he was describing the same thing you have sketched.

But from what i see of that sketch, its entirely self tacking? Id like to be able to hold it on one side or the other?
Old 27-02-2016, 14:24   #23

Yep, that's where you use the cleats to haul it over to one side. Probably just release the upwind side a bit, given the angles, may not need to tighten the downwind end.

Not a very positive positioning device the way a traveller is but it would be good enough I think. Anyway it is the cheapest and simplest thing to mock up so you won't be out of pocket if it does not work well enough.

And I don't think it actually needs the blocks at the apex given the size of sail and the forces involved

Old 27-02-2016, 14:46   #24

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I am crude, and I love crude, cheap solutions, provided they work well. What I did on snow petrel was get an old offcut of 12mm spectra, and lash it over the tiller as a soft traveller.

I just snapshackled the mainsheet to the the strop and went sailing. Self tacking and it had some vanging effect, and downwind or in port I could unsnap it and shift it all out of the way.

Very simmilar to gijoes system, without the adjustments.
I suspect a proper vang isn't going to work well with your cockpit, so you need a separate vanging system. I'd just have another tackle that can be shifted port or stb as needed.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-02-2016, 16:12   #25

First I am Jim, now I am GI Joe. I am confused.

Old 27-02-2016, 16:22   #26

Rhyming humor! ^^^
Old 27-02-2016, 17:13   #27

I was going to say that Jim and GI Joe don't rhyme but that would probably make me look like an idiot.

Oops. Too late.

Old 27-02-2016, 21:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
First I am Jim, now I am GI Joe. I am confused.

Im sure you have been called worst in times gone past

I was finishing off the copper coat today and between coats checked what pullies etc i had. I have enought o make myself another pully system for the port side without any cost. So ill do that befire the week is out.
Old 27-02-2016, 22:33   #29

RC, I'm really having qualms about it, though, because generally lifelines and stern pushpits are not meant nor designed to have sheeting loads. Maybe what Snow Petrel suggested is safer.

Ann
Old 27-02-2016, 22:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC, I'm really having qualms about it, though, because generally lifelines and stern pushpits are not meant nor designed to have sheeting loads. Maybe what Snow Petrel suggested is safer.

Ann
Well, that was my concern too as the welded bracket the lifelines attach to are not that big.

But there's always a but. I cant have the attachment point too down low or the pully sheet will rub on the top lifeline.

Tags
rigging