Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 22:59   #31

Re: Mizzen Boom Rigging

If I ran the zoo.........this is what I would do..

Install a pad eye outboard of each cleat on the aft cockpit combing. splice two dyneema bridals to one large Antal ring, outside groove, at a height above the center of the cockpit that works for the tiller. Splice a short bridal from the large antal ring, outside groove same as the other two bridals to a smaller Antal ring, outside groove, several inches above it. Make a third bridal/pendant splice to another large antal ring, outside groove, then to the boom sheeting point. Use a length of Double braid or what you preffer for sheeting in a endless sheet from one of the cockpit cleats, say port for feeding, through the large antal ring, fore to aft, up through the antal ring on the boom pendant, fore to aft down though the smaller antal ring in the middle, up and through the antal ring from the boom pendant aft to fore, down through the lower antal ring, aft to fore to the stb cleat. No expensive blocks, you can trim from either side of the cockpit, super easy to play around with lengths to figure out the optimum bridal and pendant lengths, plenty of purchase, and a easy arrangement to sweat and tuck.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 23:05   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
If I ran the zoo.........this is what I would do..

Install a pad eye outboard of each cleat on the aft cockpit combing. splice two dyneema bridals to one large Antal ring, outside groove, at a height above the center of the cockpit that works for the tiller. Splice a short bridal from the large antal ring, outside groove same as the other two bridals to a smaller Antal ring, outside groove, several inches above it. Make a third bridal/pendant splice to another large antal ring, outside groove, then to the boom sheeting point. Use a length of Double braid or what you preffer for sheeting in a endless sheet from one of the cockpit cleats, say port for feeding, through the large antal ring, fore to aft, up through the antal ring on the boom pendant, fore to aft down though the smaller antal ring in the middle, up and through the antal ring from the boom pendant aft to fore, down through the lower antal ring, aft to fore to the stb cleat. No expensive blocks, you can trim from either side of the cockpit, super easy to play around with lengths to figure out the optimum bridal and pendant lengths, plenty of purchase, and a easy arrangement to sweat and tuck.
Thanks Jake, but sounds a littke complicated without a sketch
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 23:24   #33

Not up for autocad at this hr so this is all you get, can always increase purchase by adding another ring, but with a small mizzen probably not necessary.

Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 23:38   #34

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Not up for autocad at this hr so this is all you get, can always increase purchase by adding another ring, but with a small mizzen probably not necessary.

Interesting idea
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 06:22   #35

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Loadsman, the problem with putting a travellor on the pushpit is that we use the stern to get on and off the dingy by way of a platform around the rudder.
Could you mount one at the top of the pushpit, forward of the solar panel?

Quote:

Would this set-up restrict your tiller range? Perhaps moving the attachment points further outboard with cam blocks would clean it up and allow a better range of motion.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 06:32   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
From the photo you can see that my Mizzen boom only has one pully which is attached to one of the life line ends. To swap the Mizzen to port, I have to undo this and let it travel to port and then clip it on and rein it in.

The Tiller isn't showing. But presently I have no way of centralising the Mizzen. That's the way it was when I purchased her.

Can someone suggest what to do, which would keep in mind the life lines?

Just stick a pad eye in the deck between the 2 hatches. clip the sheet in place when you want to sail. when you're done just clip it back to the pushpit to keep it out of the way of the solar panels. Don't complicate things if you don't need to!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging