Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 05:49   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: My First Soft Shackle

Dockhead, where does the quote in your signature originate? It torments me each time I see it .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:10   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Dockhead, where does the quote in your signature originate? It torments me each time I see it .

SWL
The Vision by Allan Ramsay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Ramsay_(poet)

http://spenserians.cath.vt.edu/TextR...?textsid=33952
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:11   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
But there's a whole world beyond diamond- and button-knot soft shackles out there: it is soft shackles with toggles.
There is a whole world of toggles and dog bones - are you the guy I tested the hard wood toggle for?

I would be quite interested in what things and applications you have found where they are preferred to, or do something stopper knots simply cannot do? Photo's would be great and I believe allowed since I have asked

My understanding of the toggle shackles is that they are essentially as strong as the 'stronger' shackle design - eg the loop/noose is the failure point in both. and are easier to work in cold and spray and with gloves on - the Volvo boats used some on the bow down in the southern ocean. But while I have made a couple I lack hands on experience with them - have never really used one full time at sea.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:16   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, thank you .
Torment over .

Stu, your expertise has been missed lately on knot threads. Hope all is well at your end.
I just had a few tins of nutritional yeast passed over to try, so I was thinking of you.

SWL

Old 20-06-2016, 07:55   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yes! One of my favorites.

It's about skepticism -- goes on like this:

Zour Monks ar void of Sence or Grace,
I had leur ficht for Fisch;
Zour Schule-men ar Fule-men,
Carvit out for dull Debates,
Decoying and destroying
Baith Monarchies and States.

Seems appropriate in this setting
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 12:29   #126

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Thankfully these items take up little room or weight on board, as they are vital equipment .

Not a joking matter .
With a love of knots and 30+ years experience tying bowlines (I swear I could do one standing on my head blindfolded) I have just found I am using the "cub scout" method and that there are much easier, more reliable ways to tie bowlines:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nd-167365.html

Keep an open mind .

SWL
You are so right! Nothing trivial about a bowline, especially if you've been thrown a line while in the drink and your life depends on getting it fastened about yourself! I was taught a quick method starting with a twist, but a couple weeks without practicing and it was lost.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 18:54   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
There is a whole world of toggles and dog bones - are you the guy I tested the hard wood toggle for?

I would be quite interested in what things and applications you have found where they are preferred to, or do something stopper knots simply cannot do? Photo's would be great and I believe allowed since I have asked

My understanding of the toggle shackles is that they are essentially as strong as the 'stronger' shackle design - eg the loop/noose is the failure point in both. and are easier to work in cold and spray and with gloves on - the Volvo boats used some on the bow down in the southern ocean. But while I have made a couple I lack hands on experience with them - have never really used one full time at sea.
Hi Evans,

I am the wooden toggle guy. After you were kind enough to break one for me, I had some machined out of 7075 alloy--couldn't break them at 19,000lbs, which was the strongest Dyneema that would fit on there. So I'm selling them from my website--Abednegomarine dot com
Lots more information there, some good pics, and we're updating the site frequently as new uses come my way.

In the ones I had destruction tested, the outside of the loop was always the failure point, and the line failed just above the manufacturer's stated break load.
I emailed some time back in hopes of interacting with you about them; I gather the email was not received. Nevermind, my email address is benjaminzartman at gmail.com I'd like to get some into your hands and see what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 10 32 Toggles and Shackles (3).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	126656  
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 22:47   #128

Boat: Bavaria 47

Quote:

SWL
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...-face,&f=false
Old 20-06-2016, 23:28   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
Thanks Nigel . Stu put a link in earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes! One of my favorites.

It's about skepticism -- goes on like this:

Zour Monks ar void of Sence or Grace,
I had leur ficht for Fisch;
Zour Schule-men ar Fule-men,
Carvit out for dull Debates,
Decoying and destroying
Baith Monarchies and States.

Seems appropriate in this setting
If I had to pick an appropriate one for me, it would be:

"I hate a Drunkard or a Glutton,
Yet am nae Fae to Wine and Mutton."

Old 21-06-2016, 08:40   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. . .
If I had to pick an appropriate one for me, it would be:

"I hate a Drunkard or a Glutton,
Yet am nae Fae to Wine and Mutton."

There are a lot of jewels in there!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 21-06-2016, 12:42   #131

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:

We need to have holes that will accommodate a range of fore/aft positions (ie downward pull on the clew) for anything from a reefed yankee to a gennaker or even headsails we may decide we want in the future, such as the blade jib you are finding so useful in the Baltic. We don't need the 27 we have on the larger tracks , but once the track is there is is easy just to put lots of holes in.

I have marked in red the position of the tracks with holes and also the openings at the top of the bulwark close to the tracks:

This is the end of one of the tracks:

Our main headsail "track" is inboard, but there are lots of attachment options both inboard (the staysail track) and outboard (the holes at the top of the bulwark) for secondary controls (see above).
I like the idea of two controls, varying the amount of pull on either to control in/out .

SWL
SWL, I fear that either I'm missing something here or you are.

Can you explain again why you need to have different attachment points? I don't think you do.

It seems like you're obviously grasping the advantage of having two twingers in a triangle formation for moving the lead inboard and outboard, but that exact same set-up will also mimic moving a car fore and aft.

I'm setting up a single twinger on my rail. My jib cars are on the rail and my shrouds go almost to the rail, so I can't in-haul at all unless I'm using a storm jib.

My standard sail is a 135 The car is almost right back at the primary winch for that sail. With my 105, the jib car is about 3 feet forward and as soon as I start rolling the 105, it goes forward from there. I think this is what you were talking about as wanting different locations for your many different headsails.

BUT, I'm only putting in a single twinger and I'll never move my jib car again (I can't because it has a small hole to go through the new lifeline netting). The twinger will be loose for the full genoa on a light wind day (until we crack off the wind, anyways), but with a rolled 105 in 35 knots of wind, I'll just pull down the twinger a bit. This will be exactly like moving the jib car up 6 feet (the angle of the sheet at the clew will move down as if I'd moved the jib car up, so the sail doesn't know if I'm using a jib car or a twinger, it just knows the angle moved).

I'll just be using a 2:1 purchase with 2 low friction rings.

The elegance of the system is pretty exciting, and I've been thinking of doing it for years. It's just the lifeline netting has now forced me to get off my butt and get it done.
Old 21-06-2016, 13:15   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

Can you explain again why you need to have different attachment points? I don't think you do.

It seems like you're obviously grasping the advantage of having two twingers in a triangle formation for moving the lead inboard and outboard, but that exact same set-up will also mimic moving a car fore and aft.

I'm setting up a single twinger on my rail. My jib cars are on the rail and my shrouds go almost to the rail, so I can't in-haul at all unless I'm using a storm jib.

My standard sail is a 135 The car is almost right back at the primary winch for that sail. With my 105, the jib car is about 3 feet forward and as soon as I start rolling the 105, it goes forward from there. I think this is what you were talking about as wanting different locations for your many different headsails.

BUT, I'm only putting in a single twinger and I'll never move my jib car again (I can't because it has a small hole to go through the new lifeline netting). The twinger will be loose for the full genoa on a light wind day (until we crack off the wind, anyways), but with a rolled 105 in 35 knots of wind, I'll just pull down the twinger a bit. This will be exactly like moving the jib car up 6 feet (the angle of the sheet at the clew will move down as if I'd moved the jib car up, so the sail doesn't know if I'm using a jib car or a twinger, it just knows the angle moved).

I'll just be using a 2:1 purchase with 2 low friction rings.

The elegance of the system is pretty exciting, and I've been thinking of doing it for years. It's just the lifeline netting has now forced me to get off my butt and get it done.
I think the key to what she is saying is:

"once the track is there, it is easy just to put lots of holes in."

I think the logic here is flawless. These things are capable of a huge range of adjustment -- as a matter of geometry, it takes less motion up and down to produce the change of sheet lead angle produced by a great deal of motion fore and aft. BUT -- if you have the tracks -- why not?

I probably wouldn't bother with a track on my future metal boat, since you can easily weld on another pad-eye if you're not happy with the position. One pad-eye per sail ought to be more than enough.
Walt Whitman
Old 21-06-2016, 13:24   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
since you can easily weld on another pad-eye if you're not happy with the position.
As an aside . . . It is perhaps not as dead simple as you might think, if you have foam insulation under the deck (as you should). The foam will melt or char if you just try to weld on deck, so you have to remove and replace it, which gets somewhat involved.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 13:34   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
As an aside . . . It is perhaps not as dead simple as you might think, if you have foam insulation under the deck (as you should). The foam will melt or char if you just try to weld on deck, so you have to remove and replace it, which gets somewhat involved.
Good point.

OK, so lots of pad-eyes!
Walt Whitman
Old 21-06-2016, 14:49   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

This is a new sheeting technique and little info is available. Attachment points need to be preplanned because, as Evans has pointd out, welding is a complex thing if the alu is insulated (and headlining needs to be removed before insulation can be). At the welding phase of construction it is dead easy to weld on lots of pad eyes (we will have about 40 scattered around the new boat) or tracks. Attachment points are useful for a host of things.

Rather than relying on the designer or builder to get is absolutely right, providing future flexibility is sensible.

I may be missing something very basic, but regarding the position of the low friction ring system, I can't see how one would completely cover a full range of clew movement for all headsails or their reefing alternatives or wind angles and amounts. Otherwise why would it matter where you put it?

For example, where would you put the attachment for the low friction ring to suit both these clews for all situations?