Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2023, 08:45   #76

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: My in-mast furling is a nightmare

Same sails as the ones I've got, only my main has also full height vertical battens. Them 3DI's point higher and provide better speed than anything I've had before.
The only point I can't fully agree with is the "straight mast theory" for the IMF. I started tinkering with this already on my previous boat also with IMF...
On the (almost by now) new to me boat, I installed hydraulic pistons to adjust the back-stays. Well, bending the mast does work even with the IMF.
Unfurl the main, bend the mast to XYZ. To furl the main release the back-stay tension, done. I'm still testing and figuring things out but thus far I'm happy to finally be able to adjust the bend of the mast.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 08:51   #77
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
Same sails as the ones I've got, only my main has also full height vertical battens. Them 3DI's point higher and provide better speed than anything I've had before.
The only point I can't fully agree with is the "straight mast theory" for the IMF. I started tinkering with this already on my previous boat also with IMF...
On the (almost by now) new to me boat, I installed hydraulic pistons to adjust the back-stays. Well, bending the mast does work even with the IMF.
Unfurl the main, bend the mast to XYZ. To furl the main release the back-stay tension, done. I'm still testing and figuring things out but thus far I'm happy to finally be able to adjust the bend of the mast.
You better make a bright orange warning sign to straighten the mast before furling and use that as a cover over the furling control knob or you will become a statistic

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 09:07   #78

Boat: Jeanneau 57

No need for an orange warning sign. I've got a brain provided with memory and can remember to turn a knob to release pressure before furling.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 09:31   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
No need for an orange warning sign. I've got a brain provided with memory and can remember to turn a knob to release pressure before furling.
Famous last words

Old 29-08-2023, 09:37   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My opinion is the exact opposite of this.

For coastal sailing, fair weather, mild latitudes, in-mast furling doesn't make much sense. For that kind of fun, give me a roachy full-batten mainsail any time.
When coastal sailing one of the things we need to keep an eye out for is downdrafts and wind shifts caused by valleys and headlands, often without much warning. St Albans head at 354 ft with an inshore passage just yards off the shore being a classis example. We had a 180 deg wind shift and back again once cleared the headland. The wind speed wasn't sufficient to need a reef but it wouldn't have been a problem if needed.

Being able to hang on to full sail in a good downwind breeze makes good progress, but if rounding the next bend means reducing sail area quickly hope there is no need to go to windward first.

The OP hasn't been back since the 22nd, shame.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 10:34   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

On smaller boats an in mast is probably manual like the charter we did in the North Channel last week. It did take the two old guys to pull in. A bit tough for our wives unless they used a winch.

Our electric furler in the Caribbean failed utterly last season after 38 years. Water had entered the gear box and various bearings were gone. The epicyclic reducer pins broke etc. Basket case. No modern substitute to fit the old Hood mast so it’s been rebuilt. I’ll install in Trinidad in October. That’s pretty good service I guess. Coincidentally, the swivel failed at the same time. Possibly related. I rebuilt this myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2898.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	280306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	280307  

Name:	IMG_3665.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	280308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	280309  

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	280312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3091.jpg
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	280313  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:49   #82

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I promised my resolution, and here it is:

The Kemp in mast system was flawed at creation. After Selden bought them they offered a series of upgrade items. Now they seem to know less than I do, which is pretty poor. They have no idea what parts they have that I need to complete this project.

My rigger proposed Installing the Harken track and truck installation, along with a new North mainsail with full battens and 2 reefs, a lazy bag system with lazy jacks.

Parts, Labor and IVA tax came to 8,325€.

First they pulled the mast.
They ripped the guts out of it.
They installed the track into the now empty mast ordered the trucks and sail and installed them. IT WORKS SEAMLESSLY.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0479.jpeg
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	283303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	283304  

sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 05:46   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post

The Kemp in mast system was flawed at creation. After Selden bought them they offered a series of upgrade items. Now they seem to know less than I do, which is pretty poor. They have no idea what parts they have that I need to complete this project.

My rigger proposed Installing the Harken track and truck installation, along with a new North mainsail with full battens and 2 reefs, a lazy bag system with lazy jacks.

They installed the track into the now empty mast ordered the trucks and sail and installed them. IT WORKS SEAMLESSLY.
Congratulations! I bet you sail a good bit faster too!

Old 12-11-2023, 07:50   #84

Boat: Vancouver 27'

FASTER!!! Sail at all! It took 2 hours to unfurl the sail once! I could not post the video, it hoisted one handed. Sadly I am moving to Frnce and so it will be stored until spring. So a bit more of a wait.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 02:43   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
When coastal sailing one of the things we need to keep an eye out for is downdrafts and wind shifts caused by valleys and headlands, often without much warning. St Albans head at 354 ft with an inshore passage just yards off the shore being a classis example. We had a 180 deg wind shift and back again once cleared the headland. The wind speed wasn't sufficient to need a reef but it wouldn't have been a problem if needed.

Being able to hang on to full sail in a good downwind breeze makes good progress, but if rounding the next bend means reducing sail area quickly hope there is no need to go to windward first.

The OP hasn't been back since the 22nd, shame.

Pete

Point well taken.

I guess it also depends on the latitude.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 02:45   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post

Congratulations on sorting this out!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 13-11-2023, 02:52   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
On smaller boats an in mast is probably manual like the charter we did in the North Channel last week. It did take the two old guys to pull in. A bit tough for our wives unless they used a winch.

Our electric furler in the Caribbean failed utterly last season after 38 years. Water had entered the gear box and various bearings were gone. The epicyclic reducer pins broke etc. Basket case. No modern substitute to fit the old Hood mast so it’s been rebuilt. I’ll install in Trinidad in October. That’s pretty good service I guess. Coincidentally, the swivel failed at the same time. Possibly related. I rebuilt this myself.
Kudos for that! I would say 38 years of service is pretty bloody good!

My Moody has the Selden system, which I'm very satisfied with. I just went through this on my boat this year with only 22 years of service. Not a basket case but needed replacement of all bearings, bearing races, and seals in the gearbox, which I had done in Malmo by an ex-Selden factory guy for around a boat buck.

Our Discovery 67 has a Bamar electric system which I don't like. The owner has spent a ton of money on it. Recently discovered that a cutoff switch was bypassed and the brake was connected wrong -- that after having spent 10s of thousands on it last year . Maybe I will like it better now; we'll see.

What must be an inherent disadvantage of the electric systems, however, is the lack of feel. I like being able to feel what's going on with my Selden system, even when using it with an electric winch.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-11-2023, 06:17   #88

Boat: Pearson 386

This a long thread, too long to read, but do explain what you mean by "it gets stuck". If you mean the sail gets stuck inside the mast, you are doing something wrong. First, just the same as a non-in mast furling you should: Come into the wind, so that the sail is luffing. The others must dos are: Keep light tension on the leach; your vang, kicker, or topping lift should be pre-set to do this without tending since furling type mainsails are made with less roach. Be certain that you do not have excess backstay tension as this may work against you. A mostly straight mast is needed for in-mast furling to work well. Finally keep some light tension on the outhaul as you furl so you obtain a tight wrap.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 06:58   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
This a long thread, too long to read, but do explain what you mean by "it gets stuck". If you mean the sail gets stuck inside the mast, you are doing something wrong. First, just the same as a non-in mast furling you should: Come into the wind, so that the sail is luffing. The others must dos are: Keep light tension on the leach; your vang, kicker, or topping lift should be pre-set to do this without tending since furling type mainsails are made with less roach. Be certain that you do not have excess backstay tension as this may work against you. A mostly straight mast is needed for in-mast furling to work well. Finally keep some light tension on the outhaul as you furl so you obtain a tight wrap.

Mostly good advice here, however -- most experienced users of in-mast furling do NOT indeed luff up into the wind to furl. Finding that having some wind in the sail is beneficial to a smooth roll.

I typically do not change course when I furl -- I can do it on any point of sail. Exception to that is sailing downwind in very strong wind on the disfavored tack (port on my boat), where the sail can be very hard to make turn 180 degrees around the slot in the mast. I will typically gybe in that situation.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-11-2023, 07:04   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Luff up, do not luff up… truth is that in mast furling is a nightmare and the only solution to prevent jamming it is to remove it like OP did.

He now enjoys a real powerful fully battened main with much more surface area and shaped like the wing it’s supposed to. And the best feature: it never jams inside the mast because it safely stored in a stack pack which it is safely and quickly guided down into using lazy jacks and that thing most in-mast furler lovers only use when their sails are jammed: a halyard

Tags
furling, mast