Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 09:15   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
My profulr upper swivel broke under heavy conditions

So we were on a beam reach into 30-35Kts. At those winds, true wind beam reach makes it feel more like close reach/close hauled. It was rough. I have a cutter rig and I was expecting that my #4 heavy weather gyb which is on a cutter stay and rolled onto a pro-fulr NC31 would be an adequate choice for heavy conditions. I had only partially rolled it out. That and small amount of main (furling) seemed to keep the boat balanced well. But we were bouncing around pretty good.

But then upper swivel on the cutter furler broke. Outer and inner parts separated and my gyb went luffing. We ended up partially unfurling the head stay sail and were able to make progress, but I am trying to figure out what went wrong and how to prevent it from happening.

I had replaced the bearings and snap rings on this unit in 2017 and really had not used it in such heavy conditions. Bearing replacement is not something Profurl offers but its described here.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ld-194549.html

Upon taking a better look, looks like my snap ring slid up from the grove and inner hub separated.

I had quite a bit of tension on the halyard and I am wondering if this along with sheet tension while beating into heavy weather might be the reason, or it might be my shitty assembly where snap ring did not quite settle into the grove. Its hard to determine if snap ring is in the grove good during re-assembly. see pics below
I re-assembled the unit as parts were not damaged but idk how i feel about using it. There is some wear on that grove.

One other thing is, schema is really upside down meaning head of the sail is attached to the part that's shown on top (Inner hub). The other thing schema shows two snap rings (circlips) and from my picture, there is just no room to put both circlips so i only have one on each side. Could this be an issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FemaleHousingTopView.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	226657   Click image for larger version

Name:	shemaAnotated.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	226658  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FemaleHousing.jpg