Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 10:20   #31

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Mystery handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hello Cruisers,

Just inside the door from the cockpit, we have a pair of drawers, nicely setup with internal brackets for each of the winch handles, a rubber mallet and three "mystery handles".

We've had the boat for nearly 6 months now, and I have not been able to work out the function of these handles despite carrying each around the boat and trying to find somewhere they will fit. There are a matching pair with the square drives and another, very odd handle with a hollow socket and two pins.

Hopefully I have attached pictures of each, if anyone could shed some light on their function, I would be grateful.

Matt
The "lock-in" handle definately looks like the locking handle for the worm-screw drive on an older style boom furler. The handle with the pins looks about right to fit the pin-holes on the top of an older Groco style raw water strainer.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 14:36   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
Just another idea....some wheels have a locking nut to the steering stud and can only be removed from the pedestal with a crank/winch handle device.....perhaps one of these is necesssady? Check the hub on the wheel or remove the hub and then look for the locking nut...........
Sounds very possible.. Will check this one.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 14:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The square one looks like a roller reefing handle to me... any indication the boom was replaced over the years? Anyone know, did some of the wire halyard winches have sq drive handles?
The one with two pins looks like it would be for a deck fill (type with two holes). Maybe those were replaced? how old is the boat?
There is nothing to suggest the boat ever had roller reefing, sails have none of the marks or wear patterns I would expect and no sign the gooseneck or boom have ever changed. The halyard winches seem original though it is hard to tell as the boat is 35 years old so a well maintained winch of that age is hard to tell from a poorly maintained younger winch unless you know stuff about when each model was manufactured, which I don't.

The fact that there are a matching pair of the square drive handles makes me wonder if they might have been some kind of cockpit winches.
Old 26-05-2013, 14:49   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

your locking handle is a winch handle. many of the folks these days do not see those anymore, as their boats didnt come with this kind but the star kind which sukk. these are the good ones. locking winch handles rock. donot lose em.

the other looks like a diesel engine hand crank, which my ericson was lacking...keep it safe. you may need it one day.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 14:57   #35

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The square drive is similar to a Gibb winch handle. The 2 pin looks like the tool necessary to remove the drum- securing recessed nut/cap on old Cheoy Lee bronze primarys.
Old 26-05-2013, 15:21   #36

Boat: Celestial 48
The one on the right looks just like my manual handle for my Muir vertical anchor windlass. Got to give it a good workout when the windlass motor gearbox gave out last summer.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 17:05   #37

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Maybe the squared one could be a manual drive for your anchor windlass. Does the one with pins fit the retainer ring on the top of your sheet winches?

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 17:14   #38

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The couple I bought it from did not seem to know, and although I am in contact with the guy who set the boat up originally, I am very reluctant to pester him with questions. I may yet have to...
Two questions is pestering?
Old 26-05-2013, 18:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Two questions is pestering?
Not really, but you know... thin edge of the wedge stuff.

I am probably being silly about this, he even sent me his home number, but I have read quite a few posts from guys who got fed up being asked
100 questions about the boat they sold after the event.

Then... there's also a bit of pride I guess....
Old 26-05-2013, 18:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
your locking handle is a winch handle. many of the folks these days do not see those anymore, as their boats didnt come with this kind but the star kind which sukk. these are the good ones. locking winch handles rock. donot lose em.

Does this mean they will work with my star-drive winches? I hadn't thought to try them.
Old 26-05-2013, 18:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Maybe the squared one could be a manual drive for your anchor windlass. Does the one with pins fit the retainer ring on the top of your sheet winches?

Regards,
Richard.

Good call, but no, does not fit.
Old 26-05-2013, 18:48   #42

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Don't know about first one but the second looks homemade, could it possibly be for a disc grinder. I've seen all sorts of homemade handles for them and this looks like a well made one.
Old 26-05-2013, 18:50   #43

Boat: Irwin sloop

I agree with Zee the handles on the left are locking winch handles and worth many $pondooliks to try and replace. The other one is definitely a single purpose tool that you could never replace, put it where you wont forget it because when that purpose becomes apparent nothing else will do the job. With good luck you'll never find out what it's for.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 19:11   #44

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive left old stuff I collected over the years, on every boat Ive owned !! Most of ir would never work on the boat they were on, but I thought they were neet and just collected them ! Ive had calls from the new owners of the boats I sold, wanting to know what it was or where I used some of this stuff!! I always felt sorta bad cus most of the time I had forgotten this stuff was still aboard ! LOL maybe these Items are of that sort of stuff ?? Could be !! Just a thought
Old 26-05-2013, 21:56   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Don't know about first one but the second looks homemade, could it possibly be for a disc grinder. I've seen all sorts of homemade handles for them and this looks like a well made one.
It is well made, but it would be a BIG grinder... Also, if so, what heck is it doing in a custom fitted tray in a drawer next to the cockpit...?