Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 05:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau 523
Navtec A850 boom vang help please

hi, i have a navtec A850 boom vang, its a single hose hydraulic boom vang. it's not building up any pressure, maybe the pump, maybe the hose, maybe the jack, not sure yet.

what i'm not sure about is how it works. normally with a hydraulic jack, it gets longer the more fluid you pump into it, but for the vang, it needs to contract, as you pump fluid in. is this correct?

also, how are you supposed to bleed air from the system? it has no bleed nipples that i can find.

any advice about how to fix my vang appreciated, thanks
steveh2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 20:23   #2

Boat: C&C 37
Re: Navtec A850 boom vang help please

Barry P here.You are correct about vang pressure working to contract, but you can have 3 problems. Your main pump can be fubar, which would require rebuilding-apparently complicated but possible-a seal kit would be required. Is it possible the hydraulic fluid is low or empty, or is a line from the pump to the vang disconnected and blanked off or a valve on the line shut off. The third possibility is the seals leak so badly they can not overcome the 600 psi nitrogen pressure in the vang (i.e. the pressure that holds up the boom).
If the seals are so shot, they must be replaced, but here is the issue. The boomvang cylinder is highly pressurized (approx. 600 psi), and if the end cap is removed without all the necessary precautions, the shaft shoots out with possible fatal ramifications. It MUST be done correctly, so if you can isolate it to this issue, send it to a rigging shop that has and can do this.
We have this issue on our boat in Western Canada and are looking for an experienced shop to send our vang to. I am told about $300 plus shipping. At least 2-3 rigging shops on East Coast U.S can repair these.- Thanks, Barry from C&C 37, Temptress
Barry_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 13:12   #3

Dear Steve, I am searching for a hydraulics re-builder in Phuket, have you found one? Please let me know and thank you! Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh2112 View Post
hi, i have a navtec A850 boom vang, its a single hose hydraulic boom vang. it's not building up any pressure, maybe the pump, maybe the hose, maybe the jack, not sure yet.

what i'm not sure about is how it works. normally with a hydraulic jack, it gets longer the more fluid you pump into it, but for the vang, it needs to contract, as you pump fluid in. is this correct?

also, how are you supposed to bleed air from the system? it has no bleed nipples that i can find.

any advice about how to fix my vang appreciated, thanks
SAILTEC Savitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:08   #4

Boat: Beneteau 523

Parker in boat lagoon, but beware, very expensive, better to do it yourself. P.m. me if you need help
steveh2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boom vang, lease