Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 17:07   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Navtec Series 8 Backstay Adjuster -- Rebuild

Greetings,

So this weekend was our first cruise of the year. As my father used to say, "while you are sleeping, your boat is breaking." And I spent the weekend band-aiding everything that broke over the winter.....LOL.

My Navtec IA8-12 (integrated cylinder, round style, ca 2000) won't retract. I've done the bleeding procedure, no luck. I've taken it off and attempted to add oil, but it took about 3 drops or less (not surprising, as there are no leaks). One small detail that may matter, the release knob was seized. A bit of oil and a pair of pliers, and it moves OK now, but Navtec is super insistent that this knob/valve are delicate. I hope I didn't damage the valve.

I live an hour and a half south of Annapolis.

First, any recommendations on a service shop in Annapolis who will charge me only an arm (as opposed to an arm and a leg) to rebuild it, and can do it in under 2 weeks (another cruise on the horizon).

Second, lots of notes on this site (and elsewhere) indicate any decent hydraulic shop can do it. Anyone have experience in this vein? It may be easy for any shop -- but I wonder if "any shop" means "any shop who's done one before."

Any ideas? Comments on specific vendors, as well as experience with cost and schedule.

Thanks
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstay adjuster, rebuild