Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2023, 05:21   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: NEED A RIGGER - fly to Outer Banks NC (Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m certainly open to other plans.

And I can’t afford to move that mast again. It was $4000 to move it last time.

Maybe your other idea is the right thing. Just to leave for the summer. But I have spent so many hours and so much money to get this going here.

OK. Trying to calm down.

I don’t want to be stuck here with the rig up and not be able to sail because if I have to do five or 6 kn motoring to get out of this hurricane area I don’t want that to be around Cape Hatteras with a non-functional rig. I would want to do the ICW. With the rig down.

I hope you can take a deep breath...

Yes, many folks probably have had similar problems, and just haven't written about it as freely as you do. We've felt your pain, though.

How tall is your mast? You'll know this: if under 65' I don't remember any insurmountable ICW bridges between wherever you are -- Morehead City? Beaufort? somewhere like that? -- and the Chesapeake. Maybe you could just step the mast, get minimum stuff done (shrouds and stays?), move somewhere under your own power, finish up rigging later? (Self-transport your mast that way?)

Maybe move slightly inland? Oriental? New Bern? Edenton? Press on with work there?

Or maybe begin your run to the Chesapeake, stop someplace up here to finish rigging? Or maybe make that all the way north to near the Hudson River?

I know that wouldn't be sailing... but a day moving on the water, even if you have to run your engines... is usually better than a day stuck at the dock fretting.

Maybe.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2023, 05:46   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Accomodation, food and flight will cost about $20,000.

Put this project away for now, concentrate on your business, salvage your finances.
WOW. You should fire your travel agent. Lolol.

What are we flying on a Gulfstream G4? Is that what Riggers require these days?

suite at the 4 seasons? Or Maybe the Mandarin Oriental if we are slumming it?

Or has the Canadian dollar really tanked that badly?

I love how you think spending more money is the answer. That’s the answer to why people don’t work? What’s the matter? You don’t think my brand new Harken rigging and paying $100 an hour is enough? And that’s not going through a marina that’s direct to a person. What should I be paying? $600 an hour? $1000 an hour? Should I get gold plated rigging? Or should it be platinum?

Would love to hear your answers. Does anyone else think I should be spending more money?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:59   #18

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:
WOW. You should fire your travel agent. Lolol.

What are we flying on a Gulfstream G4? Is that what Riggers require these days?

suite at the 4 seasons? Or Maybe the Mandarin Oriental if we are slumming it?

Or has the Canadian dollar really gone down that badly?
From booking.com for the OuterBanks; 98% of properties have no vacancy from 05/06 to 30/06.

Embraers. American Airlines from ORD to ORF not much left in economy, first is avaiable.

Keeping my travel agent, ex-flight attendand, current wife.
Besides the almost free flights I get other benefits....
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I hope you can take a deep breath...

Yes, many folks probably have had similar problems, and just haven't written about it as freely as you do. We've felt your pain, though.

How tall is your mast? You'll know this: if under 65' I don't remember any insurmountable ICW bridges between wherever you are -- Morehead City? Beaufort? somewhere like that? -- and the Chesapeake. Maybe you could just step the mast, get minimum stuff done (shrouds and stays?), move somewhere under your own power, finish up rigging later? (Self-transport your mast that way?)

Maybe move slightly inland? Oriental? New Bern? Edenton? Press on with work there?

Or maybe begin your run to the Chesapeake, stop someplace up here to finish rigging? Or maybe make that all the way north to near the Hudson River?

I know that wouldn't be sailing... but a day moving on the water, even if you have to run your engines... is usually better than a day stuck at the dock fretting.

Maybe.

-Chris
Hey Chris. Thank you. Thank you for the productive post.

The Chesapeake would be a wonderful place to find a Rigger. There are several of them up there. I’m going to wait and see how this week goes. Apparently my guy is going to come in today and do some work. I’m already done everything I have been assigned. Four days early. Maybe I can do some of his stuff actually. I just have to try to get it off his plate.

And then my mass is 74 feet tall. There is no ICW for me if it’s stepped.

But to tell you the truth, once it is stepped, I know I finally understand everything about the rigging. So I actually could do the running rigging myself.

For an hour, since there are no takers on my fly out idea, I guess I’m just going to stick it out and go as hard as I can for this month and just see where I end up. I will try to take on as many parts of this rigging project myself as possible. That way it moves along. And from there make a decision at the end of the month on what the strategy is.

Any luck, I can pull all of those items off his plate and do them all myself quickly.

One of the trickiest parts that is on his plate that I would have to do is build the plinth. I could do this out of vinylester.

But no more looking at the phone for a little bit here. I have work to do. I just completed all of my pre-stepping the mast assignments. They are done now

I guess I just work a lot faster than most other people. And with perfectionism. He was surprised and shocked that I had everything pretty much done by yesterday. And I only started Saturday. I think he figured it would take me all week to do it. That’s how you build a 50 foot cat though. You hash out how to do everything and then you do it fast..
Old 05-06-2023, 06:21   #20

Quote:
MV Weebles: I see. Maybe a lot of other people don’t go public with their disasters? Their catastrophes? Maybe they are embarrassed about doing that? .
I was very public on my issues. As a matter if fact, pretty sure I was more oubkic with mine than you've been with yours (search "Niza Marine" on this forum and TrawlerForum and you'll find many, many specific instances with pictures of their incompetent work). Very specific and the scale of the project is clear and much larger than most refit. Equivalent to a "frame off restoration" including reconfiguration of living spaces and flybridge.

For whatever reason, you've been camera shy, preferring 1000-words. Nothing wrong with that but it sometimes makes it hard to help. Or understand.

But yes, many folks do not relate their bad experiences. Partly due to embarrassment, partly because the inevitable comments about how they would do it differently and such a disaster would never happen to them. I chose to go public for two reasons: in my opinion, Niza should be avoided and I want folks to hear my side of the story with pictures. Second, in the trawler world, I have some creds and while deeply embarrassing, I felt it helpful to let people know that a fairly knowledgeable person got snookered.

Chotu, you seem to live in chaos and despair. If you can't get into a better mental place where you can make better decisions, cut your losses now. You are constantly reacting and not driving your destiny.

Or you just need to vent and blow off some steam. Which is okay too. But to think you're the only one who has faced this, well, you're not. At least you're in the US with the benefit of US laws.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:59   #21

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
And what about this?

As I get ready to go outside and work for the day, I am thinking, why don’t I just do everything?

Why don’t I complete that entire list. That entire punchlist?

I don’t have to wait for him. All I need is the proper dimensions and some proper techniques which I’m sure he can work in an hour or two here and there to give me. And I can just proceed with the whole thing.
Thats a good idea. Stop the frustrating reliance on someone else.
But really pick his brains for stuff you may not know, assuming he knows the work.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:01   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If in doubt, I'd definitely focus on the parts that you can't do yourself or easily get just anyone to do. Like getting the control table built and the basic standing rigging figured out. Worst case, once that stuff is done, you could load it all on board and then step the mast and do running rigging, etc. somewhere else.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:28   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
And then my mass is 74 feet tall. There is no ICW for me if it’s stepped.

But to tell you the truth, once it is stepped, I know I finally understand everything about the rigging. So I actually could do the running rigging myself.

Ah, 74'. A tall honker! I see the issue.

Still, if you can get mast stepped and standing rigging sorted out... sorting out the running rigging at your own pace... maybe the horizon will begin looking a bit brighter!

And maybe some bluebird weather windows could let you get into the Chesapeake even before you have the rigging and sails completely sorted out...

Hope for the best.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2023, 09:50   #24

Boat: Morgan 382

There are a number of riggers not too far from you in the Hamton Roads/Virgina Beach area. Not super close, but within a reasonable drive. Or, if your boat is mobile, you could motor it to a yard up there.

When I was in Portsmouth a couple years ago I used Tidewater Marine for a new forestay. Not enough work for me to rate good vs. bad, but he worked with my schedule, and let me help so only one rigger was needed and I saved some cash. So I can recommended him based on that.

https://tidewatermarineservices.com/
Old 05-06-2023, 09:52   #25

Boat: Morgan 382

Also, from Portsmouth/Norfolk out the Chesapeake there are no bridges, so you could get out if the mast is stepped.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:12   #26

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Not sure Buxton is the best place to wait out hurricane season. And aren't you going to need a crane to lift the mast? I can't believe there is one close by. If not working out, I would suggest moving east to New Bern ( pretty safe), suggest Bridgeton Harbor marina, they can easily handle your boat size and parking your RV isn't an issue. And as long as you don't make a mess, they have been pretty accomodating. The docks are outstanding. And there is a big crane company across the street.
or haul out at Jarret bay. While Jarret is not the nicest place to live aboard, there are lots of resources there. And even your boat will look small in the big Travelift.

BTW, fall and winter at the OB is very unpleasant.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:28   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Not sure Buxton is the best place to wait out hurricane season. And aren't you going to need a crane to lift the mast? I can't believe there is one close by. If not working out, I would suggest moving east to New Bern ( pretty safe), suggest Bridgeton Harbor marina, they can easily handle your boat size and parking your RV isn't an issue. And as long as you don't make a mess, they have been pretty accomodating. The docks are outstanding. And there is a big crane company across the street.
or haul out at Jarret bay. While Jarret is not the nicest place to live aboard, there are lots of resources there. And even your boat will look small in the big Travelift.

He can’t make it under the 65’ bridge to get to Bridgeton Harbor with his mast stepped.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post

Not in Buxton. I’m way farther north. By the old gunboat factory

Like I said earlier in the thread, I’m going to just wait a little while and see how it goes here first. Things seem like they are going to go on schedule maybe. Hopefully.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:36   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I don’t understand this, you have a rigger. You went out of your way to get everything to this rigger and you had an agreement with him.

Did you ask him why he doesn’t do the work as was agreed? Was it because you p|ssed himmoff about that vhf antenna?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t understand this, you have a rigger. You went out of your way to get everything to this rigger and you had an agreement with him.

Did you ask him why he doesn’t do the work as was agreed? Was it because you p|ssed himmoff about that vhf antenna?

It’s because I don’t want to piss him off at all. Trying to make things go smoothly. Has nothing to do with a VHF antenna. That’s nothing.

And he’s currently starting into things so let’s not ruin it here. Let’s let it go for a week and see.

Why do these threads always start with a lot of really good advice and then downgrade to nothing at the end? (Not talking to you specifically- just thinking in general about lots of threads)

Neil pride solved it this morning.

The answer is, relax. See how it goes. Do as much work as possible myself so that it goes along quickly.

The answer is already here.

Come Friday, I will revisit the thread and see if there is a problem to address or not.

For now, I had better keep going as fast as I can to speed things along

Tags
lease, outer banks