Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2023, 12:11   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: NEED A RIGGER - fly to Outer Banks NC (Please)

And if anyone knows where I actually am (the guesses haven’t been correct, but are close enough to be alarming) please do not doxx me! I don’t need that on top of all of the rest of the stress. That’s not cool and really bad for my heart. I can show you some screenshots of some recent messages I have received. Very disturbing stuff. I don’t need these people knowing precisely where I am.

There are tons of psychos that read this board. Tons. Only a few of us post lol

But on a more serious note, it’s a serious thing.

Penal Code section 653.2 is also the California “doxxing” law. Doxxing is illegal in California if doing so rises to the level of online harassment. Doxxing or “dropping dox” (documents) refers to publishing personal information about someone with the intent to identify them. Including exact location, etc

It varies from place to place, but it’s serious. So please do not do it. It’s a misdemeanor.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:56   #32
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

They might be able to help you out in Wanchese. Nice fresh seafood too!
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 13:01   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s because I don’t want to piss him off at all. Trying to make things go smoothly. Has nothing to do with a VHF antenna. That’s nothing.

And he’s currently starting into things so let’s not ruin it here. Let’s let it go for a week and see.

Why do these threads always start with a lot of really good advice and then downgrade to nothing at the end? (Not talking to you specifically- just thinking in general about lots of threads)

Neil pride solved it this morning.

The answer is, relax. See how it goes. Do as much work as possible myself so that it goes along quickly.

The answer is already here.

Come Friday, I will revisit the thread and see if there is a problem to address or not.

For now, I had better keep going as fast as I can to speed things along
I’m not sure how you read my comments but it wasn’t written anywhere near what you make of it. I’m afraid I can’t follow at all what is happening here.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 14:07   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
That is so funny I wonder if you ever understand what you wrote.

I am not sure of course as I am not an amateur shrink and have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in a long time, but I am fairly sure that you WANT attention.

BTW I still am not paranoid. I am in Jacksonville Fl in slip B12 at The Plaza Marina.
Old 05-06-2023, 16:27   #35

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.

This is going in my list of possibilities I think for sure.

I would just need a place that I can actually stay at. Where I can pull the RV next to the boat and work on it.

And of course I would also need someplace that can haul my boat.

Does anyone know of any that are near the Hudson River? Somewhere near Poughkeepsie? That’s another pain. I am stuck away from loved ones basically. It would be ideal to be able to put the boat somewhere up there to work on it and be able to see them.

Even parts of Connecticut aren’t too far from there. But I assume the Hudson stuff is cheaper. Although it probably can’t haul me because of the beam
If you make as far up the Hudson as Albany I'm just under an hour away and I have a great shop and can help you.

This yard might have some ideas.
https://www.scaranoboat.com
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 20:11   #36

Boat: 2010 Beneteau 31

Quote:
And if anyone knows where I actually am (the guesses haven’t been correct, but are close enough to be alarming) please do not doxx me! I don’t need that on top of all of the rest of the stress. That’s not cool and really bad for my heart. I can show you some screenshots of some recent messages I have received. Very disturbing stuff. I don’t need these people knowing precisely where I am.

But on a more serious note, it’s a serious thing.

Penal Code section 653.2 is also the California “doxxing” law. Doxxing is illegal in California if doing so rises to the level of online harassment. Doxxing or “dropping dox” (documents) refers to publishing personal information about someone with the intent to identify them. Including exact location, etc

It varies from place to place, but it’s serious. So please do not do it. It’s a misdemeanor.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you would have to be in California for this to apply. It also isn't doxxing if you out yourself by giving a bunch of fairly specific information that could allow a reasonable person to infer your location.

If you want complete privacy I would suggest stop posting to a public forum about your very location specific related issues.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:47   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You might be interested in this article, from Harvard Business Review:

The Hidden Toll of Microstress
Small, difficult moments can zap your performance. Here’s how to restore your well-being.
~ byRob Cross and Karen Dillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR
Summary.

Microstresses are small moments of stress that seem manageable on their own — think a vague, worrying text from your teen flashing on your phone while you’re in a meeting, the appearance of a colleague who always wants to vent to you, or having to tell your team that the project you’ve all been grinding out extra hours on is no longer a priority. But these microstresses aren’t as harmless as they seem. Because they’re so small and brief, they don’t trigger the normal stress response in our brains to help us cope; instead, microstress embeds itself in our minds and accrues over time. The long-term impact of this buildup is debilitating: It saps our energy, damages our physical and emotional health, and contributes to a decline in our overall well-being. But once you understand the science behind microstress and where it comes from, you can fight back. Fresh research will teach you how to recognize and manage microstress’s most common forms.
Here ➥ https://hbr.org/2023/02/the-hidden-t...=pocket-newtab

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:25   #38

Boat: Endeavour 32

@chotu
Have you spoken with Zimmerman Marine?
https://www.zimmermanmarine.com/mathews-va

Their Matthews VA yard is very Cat centric.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:09   #39

Community Sponsor

Just to make sure there isn't come breakdown in communication. I had one of our team reach out to you yesterday offering to travel up there to do the work.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
Just to make sure there isn't come breakdown in communication. I had one of our team reach out to you yesterday offering to travel up there to do the work.
Thank you for that. I did get back to him. But I was waiting to see how it goes for a bit up here. Just of course as I made this thread momentum started. So…

It remains to be seen if we will need extra help up here or not. I will know by the end of the week. Much appreciated. I said that in the email back to Your team member as well.
Old 06-06-2023, 13:00   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might be interested in this article, from Harvard Business Review:

The Hidden Toll of Microstress
Small, difficult moments can zap your performance. Here’s how to restore your well-being.
~ byRob Cross and Karen Dillon

Here ➥ https://hbr.org/2023/02/the-hidden-t...=pocket-newtab
Thank you, Gord. This is much appreciated.

I just read the article and I had seen it come up in a Google news feed that I have. I kind of looked at it briefly but moved on. Now that I read the whole thing, I can see why you sent it to me.

I am very much exactly like these case studies. I over achieve at so much stuff and I feel responsible for other peoples outcomes. In fact just about everything on the list of what causes micro stress in peoples lives is very very applicable to my own.

And you know it’s interesting. I came back from a sort of healing trip I took to Southeast Asia this summer. I had the right mindset. I was just going to head to Florida and get the mast put on, then try the boat out to make sure that I like it enough to keep investing years of my life into it.

If I didn’t like it, I was going to sell it. If I did like it I was going to keep it and slowly and happily finish the interior. After the mast was already on.

I guess you know the rest of the story. Nothing at all worked out. Here I am closing in on a year later and nothing. Though I’m very close right now. Except there are some speed bumps still going on.

but I really don’t think it should take a year to get a mast stepped.

Anyway, thank you for the article. It’s actually pretty helpful and I was kind of heading there on my own already. The amount of stress it takes to manage a boat like this is beyond belief. The amount of wrongs that other people do to you or nature does to you is just unfathomable. There is a potential if things go wrong here that I will not even be trying anymore. I will just finally give up and live on the boat and that’s it.

I have too many other things I need to do with my life other than be caught in this for the rest of it. Programming, physics.

I mean, life isn’t that long right? And I just wasted the better part of a year of it just trying to get a mast put on? Ridiculous.

I’d pack it up and move to a house or apartment right now if I could stand them. They are just too stationary for me. And then there is RVing which is great but there are too many people around you. There’s no privacy. You can’t live a quiet life in an RV. It’s hectic. And then that leaves boats. There aren’t really any other things to do in terms of places to live I don’t think. So if it has to become a place to live then it will just be a place to live. I am almost done fighting. Hey, I had a lot in me. A good fight. But I’m tired.
Old 06-06-2023, 13:16   #42

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for that. I did get back to him. But I was waiting to see how it goes for a bit up here. Just of course as I made this thread momentum started. So…

It remains to be seen if we will need extra help up here or not. I will know by the end of the week. Much appreciated. I said that in the email back to Your team member as well.
Ok great, was just a little confused. Thanks for clarifying.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 13:37   #43

Boat: Lagoon 380
NEED A RIGGER - fly to Outer Banks NC (Please)

Quote:

I mean, life isn’t that long right? And I just wasted the better part of a year of it just trying to get a mast put on? Ridiculous.

….But I’m tired.
Cmon Chotu. Get a grip. You did a hell of a lot in the last year. Just look at the crossed off items on ur to do sheet. [emoji1320]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:16   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Cmon Chotu. Get a grip. You did a hell of a lot in the last year. Just look at the crossed off items on ur to do sheet. [emoji1320]
Chotu is someone who does not know the meaning of impossible task, who does not know the meaning of lunch break, who does not understand the meaning of the word no.
So, we should all get together, and buy Chotu a dictionary.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:18   #45

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, outer banks