Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2023, 02:36   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: NEED A RIGGER - fly to Outer Banks NC (Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
... I hope the smoke is not causing you any trouble. I understand it’s pretty rough up there right now...
Actually; Thunder Bay is an oasis of clean air [for now]!
According to modeling from Fire Smoke Canada*, the Thunder Bay region is one of only a handful of areas, across Canada [& the northeastern United States*2], not affected by wildfire smoke, in some way.
High-pressure systems, a lack of local fires, and prevailing wind patterns are keeping Thunder Bay’s skies clear [for now].

Though northwestern Ontario has about 23 active fires, none of them are close enough [or big enough] to create smoke plumes, that would reach Thunder Bay.
A high-pressure system, sitting over the region, is bringing sunshine, and acting as a bit of a buffer, against the smoke from elsewhere.
The wind is coming in from the east, pulling in clean air from Lake Superior, and the kower Great Lakes.

*https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

*2 From Fox News:

“Canada dropped a smoke bomb on us," ... "First, China hit us with the virus, then Canada hits us with a smoke bomb." ~ Jesse Watters.

"I had a hard time breathing," I'm walking in the same place you're walking and I don't feel a thing.… Are they all snowflakes?"
~ Sean Hannity

"No one's denying [this smoke] is unpleasant. My eyes are pretty itchy and watery.… But is this wholly out of the ordinary?" ~ Laura Ingraham
Steven Milloy, a former tobacco and oil lobbyist replied: “No”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:07   #62

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

You know what, I need to update this thread. It’s only fair. And I am not updating this to impress my Rigger. I was just looking at an email he sent and it really made a lot of sense.

I have been reading over the email from my Rigger a couple of times and really, I think all of our problems are just due to very poor communication between us and both of us actually trying to do things to help the other without the other realizing it.

We were both actually going out of our way to try to help each other in different ways that caused some friction for both of us. Let me go into it a little bit.

First, this isn’t the kind of project he would normally take on. I don’t have the budget to play at the level he is used to. Where people buy this brand new million dollar boat and stuff. Mine is a DIY. So it’s definitely kind of a lower budget operation and he was helping me to optimize the best rig we could get with a limited budget. And honestly, he has been super creative and done a really good job with that. I’m kind of excited to show you guys the outcome. He has figured out countless ways to do this on my budget and still have it work like a good boat.

Second, the timeline stuff. I can see his point. He may have told me here and there, but I did not fully understand his seasonal flow. I figured his season was starting in June. But as I look back, I see that he mentioned to me that it was starting in May. I was thinking more in the northeast season. NC is more southern. I arrived April 14, but paused nearby to await his return from a delivery. He was back during the last week of April and we got the boat in a few days before May 1 to the harbor.

So, this coincided with the beginning of his busy season which I was not quite understanding because I thought he had May pretty free. This led me to believe that he was just not getting around to my project. I had no idea it was the very day of the beginning of his busy season. I had been thinking wrong.

So he was doing me a big favor by trying to still fit me in. Even though his busy season has started. I didn’t know he was doing me a big favor. I was under the impression the busy season hadn’t started yet and that it would start in June. So I figured he would get right to it on my boat to get it done before the busy season. I didn’t realize it was already busy season.

And then I also was trying to do him a favor. I thought that he was just too busy to get to my project. In general. It seems to have happened to me many many times over the last couple years when I have had to outsource things. It would not have been the first time at all, as everyone knows.

So, I started this thread worried about the timeline, and asked to see if we could get some help. My intention in starting this thread was to get us help so that we could make a good timeline and take some of the burden off of him. It wasn’t to make him look bad. It was just to get us some help. Also, that’s why I came here to work hands-on for the month of June on the boat as well. I was trying to take some of the burden off of my rigger. I was trying to do him a favor actually. But he didn’t quite follow that. Just how I didn’t follow all of the favors that he was doing for me.

We have had some pretty lackluster communication here. And that’s really what I think has caused the problems that we have had.

It’s just been a misunderstanding and miscommunication one after another. While we both were trying to help be nice to each other. But then at the same time misunderstanding each other and not knowing the full situation.

As he has mentioned, he doesn’t deserve to be painted on here as a person who missed the timeline or in anyway wasn’t doing a good job. In fact, he bent over backwards for me and went out of his way. Which I didn’t fully understand until he wrote me a recent email about all of the things that he had done.

Another instance is the dock. He typically rents it out to smaller boats that make up a pretty good amount of dock income. I didn’t even realize this. I have never been here. But I found that out in a recent email. My monthly dock rate for a longer boat is making him less than he would normally be making. And he was doing me a favor by letting me stay there through the busier season where he could have filled it up with the smaller boats and made more. I didn’t even know that.

And then there is the facility itself. He was doing the project here and allowing my rig to be all over the place and taking up a lot of space, when typically the space that it’s in I think is used to house smaller boats, sailing clubs, junior sailing, etc. That’s what it’s for during the season. I only just found this out yesterday also. I was under the impression it was just like a working place. But no. It’s actually like a social sailing place. So my project is a little bit out of place there in peak season. I was not understanding that he was going out of his way to help me out still when really it should have been time for the place to be in peak season mode where it turns into more of a sailing club than a place where you work on boats.

So as the friction was building, we were both trying to help the other person, but we were unaware of how the other person was helping us. I had no idea half the things he was doing to help me out.

And I’m not posting this because he told me to. I’m not posting this because I feel like I have to. I’m posting it because it’s the truth and it has come to light. And it needs to be said.

He has done me a lot of favors. Made the project workable. I tried to do him a favor by getting more help in and I guess it came off wrong.

But no one should think he did a bad job. Because he didn’t. As I have always said on here about him over the last three months or so, he’s a genius. He knows how to do everything. We just had some misunderstandings.

As you guys know I’m a person of honesty and fairness. So I don’t want to leave the wrong impression about him.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:15   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

gee if only someone had suggested less forum posting and more communication
Old 09-06-2023, 05:24   #64

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
gee if only someone had suggested less forum posting and more communication
Says the guy who is almost at 20,000 posts

Do as I say, not as I do?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:33   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Says the guy who is almost at 20,000 posts

Do as I say, not as I do?
AND who ISN'T here crying about something twice a week!

BTW I have been here since July 2007 and have 19,627 posts. You have been here since Jan 2018 and have 9,682. Do the math
Old 09-06-2023, 06:35   #66

Boat: 2003 Corsair 31R

Chotu,
You are not alone as I too have had similar experiences but probably not to the degree you have. I bought new sails and furler for $18,000 and they did not fit or work as they were supposed to. I've had to spend another $6000 to try to get them all to work back in November but I had to step away from the project until now. I will begin again next week and hope they work. Don't feel alone as you are not. Wishing you the best of luck.
Steve
Esteban1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:19   #67

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Hello Chotu,

I'm only posting because you really seem about what just happened.
I'm half tuned-in to your adventure and everything you wrote below is 100% what I and many others thought happened.

Quote:
He was doing the project here and allowing my rig to be all over the place and taking up a lot of space,
Maybe focusing on this statement might help. He didn't allow your rig to be anywhere. You, his helper volunteer to keep the price down did that.

He is the prima donna expert surgeon who sweeps into a prepared site does his thing and moves on. He doesn't have time to manage you and the rig. When the rig is in the way you should move it. One should always pay attention to what is happening around them and their own impact on the environment.

We can all be very successful and have huge blind spots.

I really want you to make it to New England. I want to see you and the boat in person. The world has been so strange the past 3 years I can't tell if you are real. I have very vivid image but it is no more real than a character from fiction.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:26   #68

Boat: Whitby 42

If I remember correctly, he tried to get the work done in the Ft.Myers area. Didn't work out so he moved to the St.Pete area. Didn't work out so he moved to NC. Still not working out. Seems there is a common denominator in all of this: Chotu.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:34   #69

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Riggers

Google Mark the Rigger
Mark the Rigger in Oriental, North Carolina
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:56   #70

Bock Marine in Beaufort NC
CaptJimFrei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:13   #71

Opportunity missed: a reality TV series.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:24   #72

Boat: Seaward 22

Have you tried the number I sent you for West Marine’s rigging shop in SC? Not sure what Robbie’s doing these days, but they may know someone in the area.
Seaward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:07   #73

Boat: Alberg 37

I want to know how you get the time to do all this web stuff and still sail (or drive) your boat. I want to do that.
Morris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 03:07   #74

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Opportunity missed: a reality TV series.
Now THAT'S a great idea. Or if someone would just do a YouTube channel for him he'd get a million subscribers in no time I bet.

I promise I'm not trying to be mocking or disrespectful BUT it does seem like it's one calamity after another.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:38   #75

Boat: Whitby 42

I'm starting to think this is all a fairy tale.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, outer banks