Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 16:14   #1
jsk

Boat: S2 8.0b
Need a Sailmaker Recommendation, Please

My wife and I have an S2 8.0b. We sail on Lake Michigan - not racing, strictly cruising. Never more than a week out of port (at least not yet).

We're all about NOT putting lots of money into the boat. We moor, do our own work, and do NOT need super-high performance. So long as we get where we're going.

But our sails are not long for this world. We need a new Genoa (for roller furling) and a Main. Don't need someone to come out and measure our boat, I have the specs. We just want solid sails for a highly competitive price.

Can you please help? We'd very much value any sailmaker recommendations / links and a brief summary of your experience with them.

Search Terms: Sailmaker, Sail Loft, Mailsail, Genoa

Thanks in advance.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 16:31   #2

Boat: S2 35c
I had Lee Sails make mine , Excellent quality and a great price
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 17:16   #3

Boat: grampian 26
Have you looked into used, sorry, pre owned sails? These can often be had for much less than the price of new especially if you don't want to put a lot of money into the boat. I am in the same position as a new sail would be half the value of my old tub.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 17:45   #4

A tip on the measurements - if the "specs" you mention are from an actual measurement of the rig then you are good to go...but if they are just the "specs" from a brochure then you should make real measurements of the "as-is" rig. Getting a new sail an inch wrong is no fun at all.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 19:16   #5

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Agree with Daddle,measure it yourself,the sails you have may not be correct.A lot of people seem to like Rolly Tasker sails from Thailand,Lee sails etc.Another suggestion may be to get prices from lofts in New Zealand, World class lofts and a favorable exchange rate. just a thought.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 19:22   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
A friend of mine had a sailing school a few years ago and the sails he bought for the boats were Cruising direct.....nothing special, just sails.....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 19:06   #7
jsk

Boat: S2 8.0b
Thanks all! I measured (and double measured, and triple measured) myself and went with rolly tasker offshore cruising sales. Good service, good price, been sailing all summer and am delighted with the sails.

Happy sailing!
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailmaker