Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2024, 11:35   #1

Boat: 55ft
NEED BLUEPRINT OR DIAGRAM Where to get it?

We are building our own 55ft center cockpit ketch sailboat. We are in the process of laying out the deck with the wrenches, organizers, rope cluches,
Does anyone know where I could get blueprints for 55ft center cockpit ketch sailboat deck layout? I would greatly appreciate the help. We want to make sure they are in the right place. Someone suggested I call a sailboat rigging company like Pacific Rigging and see if they could help...any more places I might be able to buy them. We want to make sure they are in the right place before we mount stuff. We are new to sailing....lol didn't want to start out small we went big....

Any suggestions or idea's is greatly appreciated.

Tonya
tgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:52   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: NEED BLUEPRINT OR DIAGRAM Where to get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoforth View Post
Does anyone know where I could get blueprints for 55ft center cockpit ketch sailboat deck layout?
Blueprints for other similar sized boats will be next to worthless.
The designer of your boat should have furnished both a deck plan and a sail plan.
However, even if he did, the locations of various devices may change if you get sails that are of different shapes/sizes than he drew the plans for.
I have no idea how far along the building is, but don't run around bolting things down until you have a launched boat, in the water with the mast up-and-rigged.
Then a competent sailmaker/rigger can suggest proper locations for the winches/turning blocks/sheet tracks, etc.
A great deal will be determined by your choices of line handling, i.e. do you want to reef from the mast or cockpit, and other issues that can only be worked-out "on site" so to speak.
Old 04-01-2024, 13:06   #3

Boat: 55ft

Thank you so much we got a hull at is a Bruce Roberts, Sparkman & Stephens design and it was unfinished and we have totally finished the inside ourselves. I contacted Pacific Rigging Offshore, which is who is going to do our sails and rigging and they basically said the same thing. I think we are going to fly them to where we are building the boat to have them give us direction of where they want the stuff. Then get it the boat hauled from AZ and have them do the rigging. This has been and continues to be a large undertaking but with determination our goal is to have her in the water by May or Jun this year. My brother is a top welder and engineer so we are only buying the best of everything or God I hope we are. Wish we had just bought a completed boat but we are too far along to stop now. She has to get done lol. Again thank you for your suggestion.
tgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 14:17   #4

Quote:
I contacted Pacific Rigging Offshore, which is who is going to do our sails and rigging and they basically said the same thing. I think we are going to fly them to where we are building the boat to have them give us direction of where they want the stuff.
Please excuse me if I'm wrong or misunderstanding you.
My understanding is that Pacific Rigging makes "rigging" and "sells" hardware related to sail handling.
Do they also design sail plans, with specs for height and placement of masts, the rake of masts, the length and placement of booms/spreaders, and the sizes of the rigging wire itself?
Without any of that accomplished you can't get sails, does Pacific Rigging design and make sails?
You might want a real naval architect to actually design a rig and sail plan and spec-out the sizes/placements of masts/booms/chainplates before any "rigger" even steps on the boat.
Old 04-01-2024, 15:03   #5

tgoforth:

You bought an incomplete boat, and a whopping great one at that, I gather, and now you are caught in the trap that has caught so many people with high-flying dreams but very little knowledge of seafaring and of boats. No doubt you did so in an effort to save money. Well- may The Force be with you :-)!

Bruce Roberts is an active yacht designer still and has a vast catalogue of vessels most of which would cause the people at Sparkman and Stephens to roll their eyes. You have not said which of the BR designs you have, and therefore your specific question cannot be answered.

But since BR is active, why don't you scull around on his website and find the design you have, then contact him and pay whatever number of bux he will want for furnishing plans and guidance?

Surely that has to be better by a long shot than asking a group of amatoors, very few of which have actual FORMAL education in yacht design? There is a devil of a difference twixt being able to SAIL a boat and being able to DESIGN one!

Note also that boats are not like automobiles. It is NEVER true of boats, as it is of automobiles, that one boat of a given "type" is identical to every other boat of that "type". That is because such things as location of winches, which is what you are asking about, depends inter alia, and crucially, on what sort of crew the boat will have, both in terms of the number of individuals and of those individuals' physical dimensions and strength, and in terms of their achieved level of seafaring knowledge and level of seamanship.

So hie thee to Bruce Roberts :-)!

All the best to you :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 16:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
But since BR is active, why don't you scull around on his website and find the design you have, then contact him and pay whatever number of bux he will want for furnishing plans and guidance.
So hie thee to Bruce Roberts :-)!
All the best to you :-)!
TrentePieds
So true, and so thoughtless of me to not suggest that in the beginning.
I was given pause by the "Bruce Roberts/S&S" wording, thinking to myself, "Is that like a "Ford-Chevy automobile?"
Might be a Bruce Roberts design, might be an S&S design, one or the other, but not both.
Anyway, the true essence of a designers work, (and the most valuable monetarily,) is the "lines plan/table of offsets".
I would imagine that only needing the deck plan/sail plan drawings would not be an expensive proposition.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Thank you so much we got a hull at is a Bruce Roberts, Sparkman & Stephens design ...
I’m confused. You boat was designed, either by Bruce Roberts, or by Sparkman & Stephens - NOT BOTH - AFIK, they’ve never collaborated.
BR ➥ https://bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/BRUCE.htm
S&S ➥ https://www.sparkmanstephens.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:45   #8

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’m confused. You boat was designed, either by Bruce Roberts, or by Sparkman & Stephens - NOT BOTH - AFIK, they’ve never collaborated.
Bruce Roberts Sparky & Steve design... the Mr Bob version of Dr Pepper...

that being said for the OP. you could probably start looking at some other 55' CC ketches. Tayana, Amel, Irwin, gulfstar come to mind. where you could likley find a fair amount of pictures and even possibly some line drawings of the deck to give you an idea of possible layout schemes/ideas.

In no way would this substitute actual plans/designs for your particular rig. But might get you in the same zipcode so to speak
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote