Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30   #1

Need genoa in Grand Bahamas

I had a little probleme with a 50 knots wind tunder storm who left with my genoa. I need to buy a new one. Where could I find it around here?

Thanks
huguesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56   #2

Re: Need genoa in Grand Bahamas

Order by phone in Florida and fly over and get it...? Maybe someone will know if you can carry it back...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

We have sent sails to customers in the Bahamas. Freeport and Nassau are easy with UPS. Otherwise it goes to Lauderdale or Miami and forwarded on from there. Not a problem. Or they find someone who is traveling to the US and have them bring it back.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10   #4

We bought a sail from Atlantic Sail Traders in Sarasota FL and they shipped it to us in St. Maarten. I'm sure they could ship one here. We are also here in Grand Bahama waiting for a rudder repair. If we can help, let us know.

Capt. Jeanette
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 15:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Try http://secondwindsails.com They have used sails and can recut to fit.

When the PO suddenly came up short a 150 Genoa, we used Second Wind as a source for a good used sail. Since they did not have one that fit in stock, they recut one. I have flown it once and looks pretty good.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Try Used Sails from Second Wind Sails They have used sails and can recut to fit.

When the PO suddenly came up short a 150 Genoa, we used Second Wind as a source for a good used sail. Since they did not have one that fit in stock, they recut one. I have flown it once and looks pretty good.

Bill
Recuts are good for sailmakers cash flow but not necessarily good for the boat owner. Keep in mind there's often more money to be made on a service job than in selling a new sail in today's highly competitive market. Here's why the recut doesn't always go your way:

1. Take a 150% for example. We'll get someone who wants it to be a 110 or 135%. Let's say it's off a 36 or 38 Catalina or similar. The sail was built with 6.xx cloth. Proper weight for a 110% or 135% would be 7.xx or even 8.xx. Sail is short lived as a result or fails in a blow.

2. How does the recut get accomplished? It's not as easy as you might think. To really do things right and insure the draft position is in the right spot, can take a lot of time. At $60/ hour it can add up.

3. You're starting with a used sail. Then you're dumping hundreds of dollars into a recut. So you have a used sail that you basically overpaid for. If you really want to take shortcuts and go used, wait for one that doesn't need surgery to work.

4. You've got the used sail on the loft floor. Chances are the Sunbrella or Dacron suncover is shot. So now it's $7-9 per foot to put on a new suncover. Can it be done cheaper? Sure, just leave the old cover on and go over the top. Well that does wonders for the sail having 2 or more times the added weight on the leech and foot. And now with that added weight, let's watch the leech flutter begin.

5. Is that the right size luff tape? Add another $2-3 per foot.

6. You get your used sail with the recut on the boat. You've spent a significant percentage of the cost of a new one. Let's check the sheeting angle. Darn. Tracks don't go far enough forward or back for the sail to sheet. Well, better trot on down to West Marine and buy some track, fasteners, and 4200. Don't forget the epoxy because if you're going to do this job right every penetration needs to be an epoxy plug so the core doesn't get saturated.

Will you beat the odds and be the guy or gal who doesn't end up spending way more than they should on this compromise loosely referred to as a sail? Maybe. If not, it's been an expensive lesson.

Ultimately sails are your engine. Why compromise the most important part of the boat?
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 05:27   #7

hihihihi
lawkmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Genoa