Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2021, 09:39   #1

Need help/advice selecting fiddle block.

I'm in the process of replacing some old running rigging. I want to replace my old 1980's Seaway fiddle block assembly while i'm at it. I know absolutely nothing about them. I'm trying to learn what I can but I havn't come across a lot of information on them yet. I'd really like to know what sorts of things i need to take into consideration when selecting a new fiddle block assembly?

I attached some pictures of my current setup. From what I can tell so far, it seems like its basically a double block with a becket and shackle, attached to a fiddle block with a cam cleat and a shackle. Is this correct?

I recently purchased some single blocks from Garhauer. On their website they have fiddle blocks and double blocks, but different sizes, and i'm not sure which ones to choose. Does selecting a fiddle block basically boil down to working load limits?

It seems to me they are basically arranged by size, the larger being capable of handling larger working loads. Is this correct and if so, how do you determine what sort of working loads my setup must be capable of handling?

Thanks for any insight you can share.

edit- sorry for sideways pics. will try to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiddle Block.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	249951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiddle Block 2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	249952  

BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 10:27   #2

Re: Need help/advice selecting fiddle block.

What, precisely, is it you are trying to replace? Are your pictures of the inboard end of a boom vang? I don't see a fiddle block in either of your pictures. what I do see is a double becket block on top of a single block with an attached clam cleat. You can call that a "fiddle block" for more reasons than one, I s'pose ;-)

What kinda boat do you have?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 10:41   #3

Thanks, i was just referring to it by the group/name category on the website. I have been looking at single ratchet blocks and they look closer in design to what the bottom single block appears to be.

Its the traveler in my cockpit attached to the end of the boom. My sailboat is 36ft
Old 18-12-2021, 11:25   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have been happy with Garhauer. What size line do you have there? Chances are the line you have is larger than needed to make it easier to handle and as such the blocks will then be plenty large too. Looks like it may be time to replace that mainsheet too...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 11:27   #5

Right. It's the mainsheet then.

Fiddle blocks and sister blocks exist to serve different applications and purposes. There is absolutely no guarantee that your existing mainsheet set-up is optimum for your boat, so let me know the make of your boat. Then we can look her up on:

https://sailboatdata.com/

and I will tell you what I would do.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I have been happy with Garhauer. What size line do you have there? Chances are the line you have is larger than needed to make it easier to handle and as such the blocks will then be plenty large too. Looks like it may be time to replace that mainsheet too...

Thanks Don. Yes the mainsheet is getting replaced as soon as i figure out the block assembly. Currently the line is what appears to be 1/2". Its actually to big for the bottom single block. It works but not smoothly. Its what was there when i bought the boat.

I bought 7/16" and 3/8" line. I was intending to use the 7/16" line. It seems much easier to get a firm grip on it so i'd like the blocks to be able to accept at least 7/16" line.
Old 18-12-2021, 11:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
Thanks Don. Yes the mainsheet is getting replaced as soon as i figure out the block assembly. Currently the line is what appears to be 1/2". Its actually to big for the bottom single block. It works but not smoothly. Its what was there when i bought the boat.

I bought 7/16" and 3/8" line. I was intending to use the 7/16" line. It seems much easier to get a firm grip on it so i'd like the blocks to be able to accept at least 7/16" line.
Yes, personally I'd choose the line that feels comfortable and then get the blocks to match. Line and blocks will be overkill, which ain't a bad thing IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-12-2021, 11:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Right. It's the mainsheet then.

Fiddle blocks and sister blocks exist to serve different applications and purposes. There is absolutely no guarantee that your existing mainsheet set-up is optimum for your boat, so let me know the make of your boat. Then we can look her up on:

https://sailboatdata.com/

and I will tell you what I would do.

TrentePieds

Thanks, its a Mariner36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/mariner-36-canning
Old 18-12-2021, 11:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes, personally I'd choose the line that feels comfortable and then get the blocks to match. Line and blocks will be overkill, which ain't a bad thing IMO.

Thats what i'd prefer (overkill). My mainsail is on the small side so im sure the loads on those blocks are not as bad as some boats, but i would eventually like to do lots of heavy weather sailing offshore.
Old 18-12-2021, 11:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
Thats what i'd prefer (overkill). My mainsail is on the small side so im sure the loads on those blocks are not as bad as some boats, but i would eventually like to do lots of heavy weather sailing offshore.
Ah, then when you get there just make sure all the shackles and clevis pins and the track etc are sized for the job... the line will be fine

Are you sure you WANT to do LOTS of heavy weather sailing?
I must really be getting old
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 19-12-2021, 12:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That looks like a Ratcheting block with the cam cleat on the lower block. if so a Harken 1565 or 1566 Midrange Hexaratchet block may fit the bill. Harken stuff isn't cheap but can be found on Ebay for a lot less with a little patience. 3" or 76mm or close would probably be the sheave size for the line and load of a 35' boat. 7/16' dacron double braid is what I've used for sheets ad 3/8" dyneema cored line for halyards on my 35' boat.

Ratcheting blocks are normally used on a line that is held uncleated for constant adjustment like a sheet or one under heavy tension like a roller furling line to relieve pressure on the tailer's hands and arms and not lose any line gained when furling.

In any case try and get a Harken catalogue. They have illustrations of rigging blocks in many different ways to gain power, speed or fit a specific need. Well worth the price which is free the last time I picked one up. No need to get the most current one.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 17:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That looks like a Ratcheting block with the cam cleat on the lower block. if so a Harken 1565 or 1566 Midrange Hexaratchet block may fit the bill. Harken stuff isn't cheap but can be found on Ebay for a lot less with a little patience. 3" or 76mm or close would probably be the sheave size for the line and load of a 35' boat. 7/16' dacron double braid is what I've used for sheets ad 3/8" dyneema cored line for halyards on my 35' boat.

Ratcheting blocks are normally used on a line that is held uncleated for constant adjustment like a sheet or one under heavy tension like a roller furling line to relieve pressure on the tailer's hands and arms and not lose any line gained when furling.

In any case try and get a Harken catalogue. They have illustrations of rigging blocks in many different ways to gain power, speed or fit a specific need. Well worth the price which is free the last time I picked one up. No need to get the most current one.

Thank you for elaborating on that.

The Garhauer blocks and mainsheet travelers dont look like they are ratcheting blocks. I was wondering why the single blocks with cam cleat are ratcheted. That answers my question though.

will look for that catalog. I'd like to learn a lot more about this before I decide what to get.

Tags
Advice