Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2024, 02:20   #1

Need help figuring out my mainsheet

The previous owner put on a hardtop (I like) and then moved the mainsheet to a not very secure arch. Moving it back to the original location means the hard top would interfere when it's past the corners.

The rigger has given a few options, but they all have pros and cons, really could use some more ideas if anyone has. Boat is a Catalac 9M:
https://youtu.be/h8CkBzNDme8?si=yKEWqSvxBlOAiZmK
OneTwoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 15:05   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Need help figuring out my mainsheet

Easiest option is to rebuild the arch so that it can handle the expected loads.

What are the options your rigger proposed?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 16:37   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

OBVIOUSLY ... if the halyard is in doubt of being 5000-pound test in its current condition, you pull up a climbing rope (meaning a rope that meets the strength requirement, not necessarily a UIAA rope). Put a reeving slice in both and this takes only moments.
Old 15-02-2024, 16:56   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I would put it on the top of the hardtop. But, I would move it forward for mid boom sheeting. Then, the sheet can run forward to the mast, then down, to a position you can manage it from the helm. Being forward would also make up for not having the length you have with the traveler in other locations. You would need to engineer some strength into the top, but that seems very doable.
Old 16-02-2024, 13:49   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I would put it on the top of the hardtop. But, I would move it forward for mid boom sheeting. Then, the sheet can run forward to the mast, then down, to a position you can manage it from the helm. Being forward would also make up for not having the length you have with the traveler in other locations. You would need to engineer some strength into the top, but that seems very doable.
Mid-boom sheeting hugely increases the load on the boom, so to follow your suggestion the OP would need to strengthen the hard top and replace, or sleeve, the boom. Mid-boom sheeting is never done with multihulls and is certainly not required to run the mainsheet forward.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 13:59   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Mid-boom sheeting hugely increases the load on the boom, so to follow your suggestion the OP would need to strengthen the hard top and replace, or sleeve, the boom. Mid-boom sheeting is never done with multihulls and is certainly not required to run the mainsheet forward.
I agree it will require strengthening. But I think the traveler should be up high, instead of being in the way at deck level, and the danger of it catching the corners of the top. And I think if towards the aft of the top, it would be too short unless the solar panels are relocated (which might be a good idea in any case)