Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 17:59   #1

Need help with riggin Jib and maybe mainsail

This is my 24' Laguna. Bought used but fully functioning. I have tried several routes but something seems amiss. It's two ratchets, 2 winches (maybe 4, 2 blocks at mast base (pivots on clip),one cleat on mast and one inverted pulley on mast (towards bottom).

I'm not even sure have my mainsail rigged properly. Right now I'm tieing the mainsail halyard to the mast ring to prevent sail from dropping but I can't believe that's right :/

I have tried to put jib sheets through ratchets and that worked ok but the jib (Genoa) gets caught on the stays and the sheets seem to get caught on everything

Thank you for your time. Please no hate, I'm trying my best
Micheal
Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 00:05   #2

Re: Need help with riggin Jib and maybe mainsail

Old 20-06-2016, 10:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

So the main halyard need to get run thru the deck organizer, before coming back to the winch. See the stainless piece of deck hardware just in front of and outboard of the wooden hatch slides? That's a deck organizer. It should have a large block (the wheel on a pulley) the line goes thru that, then back towards the winch. In between the two there is a small clutch the line needs to pass thru, when the sail is hoisted you can flip the lever and it will lock the line in place under load.

Do you have a side shot of the boat, I can't see how the jib sheet is being routed, but it does looked a little messed up.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 10:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
This is my 24' Laguna. Bought used but fully functioning. I have tried several routes but something seems amiss. It's two ratchets, 2 winches (maybe 4, 2 blocks at mast base (pivots on clip),one cleat on mast and one inverted pulley on mast (towards bottom).

I'm not even sure have my mainsail rigged properly. Right now I'm tieing the mainsail halyard to the mast ring to prevent sail from dropping but I can't believe that's right :/

I have tried to put jib sheets through ratchets and that worked ok but the jib (Genoa) gets caught on the stays and the sheets seem to get caught on everything

Thank you for your time. Please no hate, I'm trying my best
Micheal
Howdy!

What follows I written in a friendly tone of voice intended to help you:

Simple Suggestion: get an experienced sailor to get on your boat to help you or show you how to run the lines (running rigging) from the sails to the winches. Most sailors will not mind helping a newbie or new boat owner. If needed, offer to pay someone or buy them some beer.

If you cannot find a willing helper or mentor locally, then...

Pictures or photos help, especially when you have different items of deck hardware that needs a name so sailors can communicate, and help you.

So, take good photos of each item of deck hardware, and post those photos with some caption or label on the photo, like a number for each item in the photo..

If you know the proper name, great. But other sailors here can help you identify the proper terms if you post the photos. Just ask something like "what is #2 called and how do I use it with a sheet or line?"

Take some shots of the deck or "cabin top" where you find the hardware to show its location on the boat. Post that too.

Each boat is rigged a bit different, but there will be similarities too.

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 04:19   #5

Hi guys, thank you for the input and here are a lot of pics

Tags
jib, mainsail, sail