Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 19:49   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Need new jib sheets

I have a Tayana 37, presently rigged with, I believe, a 135 genoa. The current jib sheets are 5/8", however they are in need of replacement. I don't know what the loads are, only the size of the current sheets.
Anyone have a suggestion for replacing the sheets? Should I just go with the same size? What type of line should I use?
Thanks for any help. I'm sure someone will let me know if I have not given enough info.
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 20:12   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Need new jib sheets

1/2in Samson MLX if it fits in your self tailer. Have a small eye spliced in one end and use a soft shackle to attach to the clew.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 20:25   #3

Caelestis, so you think 1/2 is large enough and no need to go to 5/8? I'm pretty sure 1/2 will work fine in my winch.
Thank you
Old 13-06-2016, 20:41   #4

Boat: Cascade 36

The line manufacturers all have some type of guidance for their products based off of type of line, boat size, and anticipated use. Check their websites for info.

Also, of possible use...Defender is having a nice little sale on some of the Samson products. I myself recently placed an order for a decent quantitiy of 1/2" Samson LST for $.90/foot to replace my jib sheets. Not sure if they have 5/8" but it might be worth it to check.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 20:42   #5

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
1/2in Samson MLX if it fits in your self tailer. Have a small eye spliced in one end and use a soft shackle to attach to the clew.

1/2" MLX would work great, but would also be overkill for a 37'. The loads just aren't that big. You could downsize to MLX 3/8", but many folks size jib/main sheets for hand feel rather than strength. Most double braids, like Samson Trophy, would be strong enough for you at 1/2" and much cheaper. This is what I use on my 38' and I'm happy.

I do like MLX, but I reserve it for halyards, spinnaker sheets/tack and reefing lines where I prize the low stretch, light weight, high strength, chafe resistance and slickness. Also allows me to downsize the lines to 3/8" (I don't have to touch the lines much) and have a lot of safety room.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 20:51   #6

Boat: Vagabond 14

Sometimes lines are oversized because the larger diameter is easier on your hands.

I have this little bitty 14 ft boat with a tiny 115% jib... and it has 5/8 inch sheets. (and a 1/2 inch halyard)
My bet is 1/4 inch clothesline would probably handle the sheets' load until the jib rips.
But I sure wouldn't like handling the clothesline to manage the jib.

Something to consider...

Yours might have 5/8 because its easier on your hands.

If there's a sailing supplier (or even a climbing shop) locally... take a foot of the old line in and they can match it up.
That line worked for how many years?
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 21:43   #7

Thanks everyone.
Old 14-06-2016, 07:58   #8

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

FWIW, We have a 37 footer and I like the oversized 5/8" as not only is it much easier on the hands it wears longer and seems to have less tendency to tangle over smaller diameter line. Once the forward half starts to wear a bit I just flip ends and convince myself I am getting double the life out of the line.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 08:29   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I bought new Genny sheets from Blue Ox Rope on Amazon. Same strength specs as the line on Defender for half the price. They are selling to the arborist market. I guess they have yet to realize if they sell to yachties, they can double their price. I bought the below 5/8" x 150 ft for $114. working fine.
zach (no affiliation with seller)

5/8" X 150' Double Braid Polyester Arborist Bull Rope, White/Orange
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:24   #10

Yes, braided 5/8 inch is better for longevity and hands. Plus more useful when they wear out to be used for other purposes. Not sure ever heard of jib sheets wearing out unless you mean they have chafing at certain points.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:33   #11

Boat: Vagabond 14

Lines can also eventually degrade from weather/sun.
Depending on the line it can be a couple of years to a few decades.

Picking up a line and it breaking where you bend it is a good sign its time for new.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:47   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like a soft loose braid dacron 5/8" that's comfortable on the hands. I don't wear these out quickly. I think I've had the same genoa sheets for the past 16 years!
Old 14-06-2016, 11:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I like a soft loose braid dacron 5/8" that's comfortable on the hands. I don't wear these out quickly. I think I've had the same genoa sheets for the past 16 years!
Ours lasted for 30 years of constant use, over half the time in the tropics. Like the Force Fifty, our WS43 did not put much strain on the sheets anyways. . Heck, our flag pole's line in the front yard must be at least 50 years old. Ratty looking rope, but still works fine. And the "hand" of the line really is important not only for feel, but for getting a real grip on it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 19:38   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
Sometimes lines are oversized because the larger diameter is easier on your hands.

I have this little bitty 14 ft boat with a tiny 115% jib... and it has 5/8 inch sheets. (and a 1/2 inch halyard)
My bet is 1/4 inch clothesline would probably handle the sheets' load until the jib rips.
But I sure wouldn't like handling the clothesline to manage the jib.

Something to consider...

Yours might have 5/8 because its easier on your hands.

If there's a sailing supplier (or even a climbing shop) locally... take a foot of the old line in and they can match it up.
That line worked for how many years?
Are you sure about those line diameters? They seem ludicrously large for your boat. Sheesh, I'd be kinda surprised if you could get two 5/8 diameter lines through the clew cringle on a 14 footer's jib, ditto with the 1/2 inch halyard and the masthead sheaves.

Jim
Old 14-06-2016, 20:05   #15

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

I also have a Tayana 37, lot depends on the type of sailing as well, IMHO larger is better for a few reasons,easier on hands, better grip, longer lasting IMHO>

Recently while water sailing">blue water sailing on my T 37, single handed, the amount of force can be much more then you or,,, I should say I thought.

Nice boat by the way

Popeye
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, sheets