Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 12:48   #1

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan
Need standing rigging inspection/work New Orleans

Hello all, having trouble finding rigging inspectors in the New Orleans area. I've done all the other repairs on our boat but this is something I want done professionally since it is so important. I'm not finding much of anything in the area as far as rigging. Oil rigs, oh yeah tons of those but not for sailboats. Everything looks pretty good, but I think it is the original from 1979.
Thanks
John
Boatingmadeez.com
Old 01-01-2017, 21:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Need standing rigging inspection/work New Orleans

Try SeaChest/Sintes. Their old guy is no longer there, but I understand that they have someone new that's pretty good, though I have no first hand experience.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:35   #3

Boat: Kaufman 47

Greg, I think the young guy is named Brad. He does the furlers at least, but I think he is their rigger.

John, if it's original rigging you may want to be ready to change that out, if anyone inspects it they will probably tell you to replace it as well. Also, are you living in NOLA or just passing through?
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:13   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If the rig & rigging are truly that old, then it's time to pull it, & rebuild anything in need of TLC. As well as swapping out all of the standing rigging. Also I'd be tempted to either inspect, or fully replace any electrical wiring in the mast. As it'll be getting long in the tooth as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:21   #5

The previous owner pulled the mast in 2007 to put on extra main and jib halyards, paint it, and run new electrical, but for some reason didn't change the standing rigging or even rebed the chainplates. Said it didn't need it?! Anyway, I'm looking to get everything redone so I'm confident in the ability for the mast to stay upright! We live in New Orleans and so far I've only been able to find one place called Sintes and the old salt who used to do it is now gone.
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:30   #6

Also, was going to do this myself originally because I believe in learning how to do everything myself, but got stuck when I tried to remove the chainplates and couldn't even budge the damn bolts holding them in. Have great access, I've gutted the ceiling and walls to replace all the wood from ports and hatches leaks. Also read a lot of horror stories on here about people getting crappy stainless when replacing. I know it's time though, just don't know whether to keep the bronze turnbuckles and things like that. A job this important I don't want to screw up.
Thanks
John
Old 02-01-2017, 07:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

John,

Sintes does generally good work, they are not cheap however. Nic just around the corner from Sintes at 'Nic's prop shop' is a very good machinist. If you want something made I would highly recommend him. All he does is maritime work, and can be relied on to buy good stock.

But like I said I have no direct experience with Sintes' new rigger other than buying line from them.

Your other option is a guy named Brian Whited who works for Murrey Yacht Sales, he is very good, but I don't know if he takes on side jobs. He is the outfitter for all of their boats on the Gulf Coast and lives in New Orleans.

Finally you can try to get in touch with Donnie Brennon at Diversified Marine in Mobile Al. And use whoever he recommends. I am not exaggerating when I say he is the best boatwright in the country and charges the same yard rate for work as Sintes. If there is anyone who's recommendation I would trust it is Donnies.

Since Sintes lost their rigger a few years ago, I just don't have anyone I really trust here in town to recommend. The new guy may be great, I just don't know.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:05   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If the standing rigging truly is original from 1979, don't waste the money getting it inspected, just replace it. you didn't mention what size boat you have, but replacing the wire and turnbuckles isn't as expensive as you think. I replaced all the rigging on my Morgan Out Island 41 ketch for $3800 CAD. just pull the mast and get started its really not hard to do at all!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28   #9

Wow Stumble, thanks for the great info! We've been liveaboards at south shore harbor for 6 years on a 1973 Gulfstar trawler, but got this 1979 37' Endeavour last year to fulfill my dream of sailing. Fixed everything else on boats, just a little gun shy on this fix. Will call Diversified and see what he says. Don't care for Murrey Yacht, I'm fixing a neighbors boat right now that they totally screwed up on and waaaayyyy overcharged him for. I don't know anything about Sintes but will call them as well. Just surprised they're not more choices in this boating area. Oh well, thanks again.
John
Boatingmadeez.com
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32   #10

Oh, and what do I look for on those bronze turnbuckles? They're not chromed and look great, but what are life expectancy of those puppies? Just go over with magnifying glass? Should I pull the mast or can they do everything with it up?
John
Boatingmadeez.com
Old 02-01-2017, 12:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIsland View Post
Also, was going to do this myself originally because I believe in learning how to do everything myself, but got stuck when I tried to remove the chainplates and couldn't even budge the damn bolts holding them in. Have great access, I've gutted the ceiling and walls to replace all the wood from ports and hatches leaks. Also read a lot of horror stories on here about people getting crappy stainless when replacing. I know it's time though, just don't know whether to keep the bronze turnbuckles and things like that. A job this important I don't want to screw up.
Thanks
John
If the bolts are original, you'll likely have to cut them free, not a big deal, just take a grinder to them. Don't bother keeping the turnbuckles, in the grand scheme of things they are only a small percentage of the cost. all the standing rigging on a 37ft boat should come in under $3000 if you remove it all yourself, measure and send off to a rigging shop to replicate.

There's nothing mystical about standing rigging. its one of the easiest things to do on a boat, you just have to know how to measure!!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIsland View Post
Oh, and what do I look for on those bronze turnbuckles? They're not chromed and look great, but what are life expectancy of those puppies? Just go over with magnifying glass? Should I pull the mast or can they do everything with it up?
John
Boatingmadeez.com
I would pull the mast, that way you can inspect everything including the tangs,wiring for lights, vhf, etc. also give you a chance to check the base of the mast and the mast step.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59   #13

Boat: Newpor 41 MkII shoal draft

Have you talked with Junius Shipshape? They are riggers as well and have done great work on my Newport 41.

Good luck and happy sailing!
Dieter Hugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:09   #14

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

call Cletus @Junis Ship Shape. Great guy. 504 259 5520.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:25   #15

Thank you for the info guys! Will give Junis a call. I'm on the fence about doing all the work myself and letting them do the wire, or just saying screw it and let them do it all. Probably come down to price because I'm a stingy bastard!

Tags
inspection, new orleans, rigging