Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 15:21   #1

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37
Need staysail for older Crealock 37

Can somebody give me the best way to get a stay-sail made for my older (pre-PSC) Creelock 37? Not sure who “drives that boat”. Do I just say “hey I need a stay-sail” or do I say I want a specific material and thickness, etc? If it is the latter how do I know what to ask for?
FYI I will be sailing in the Pacific Northwest around the San Juan Islands in mostly good weather.
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 16:08   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Need staysail for older Crealock 37

Contact a loft and either you take the measurements according to their requirements or have them come and take them for you. Talk to them about options (cloth, furling, Hank, crosscut, tri etc) and then talk about price.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 16:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Contact a loft and either you take the measurements according to their requirements or have them come and take them for you. Talk to them about options (cloth, furling, Hank, crosscut, tri etc) and then talk about price.
Fantastic straightforward advice. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2020, 17:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You're in the neighborhood of Carol Hasse--her loft in Port Townsend would be an excellent choice. She makes nice kit.
Old 12-11-2020, 17:27   #5

Nice!
Old 12-11-2020, 17:51   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Carol is retiring and I believe not taking any more orders. Expect to pay around $2k for a ‘eastern’ sail twice that for a local loft and five times that for a CH sail. That is all for cross cut cruising sails, no laminates or triradial cuts.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 10:26   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I have a 42' Cutter. Recently replaced all the sails. Cheapest might be you measure, get made off shore. I have used Far East Sails without complaint. Precision Sails is also recommended. My staysail with two reefs, hanked on, ranged $1200 to $1650 depending on cloth and cut. Yours would be a bit less as it is smaller.

Next up the price chain is US based loft, they measure (or you can). Maybe 150% to 200% more than the offshore sails. Doyle and North are two I've used. No complaints, very nice sails. I have also used Quantum but would never use them again.

I had a quote from Haas also. Nice sail, 6XCost of an offshore.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 10:45   #8

Just talk with a sailmaker. I think there may be one in Bellingham. many makers may have the measurements on hand. Tell them your plans and sailing experience and they will make some good suggestions. For a really good sail, talk with the Schautthauer brother's in Seattle. But there is a premium for that and for local sailing you dont need the creme de la creme. But there are plenty of "normal" makers in Seattle too.
I'm in Mt Vernon too.
I see Doyle and Ulmer Kolius (UK) have sailmaker's listings in Anacortes. Usually a sailmaker will come measure your boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 12:46   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

AmzingGrace: I just had a storm jib made by local Ace Sails here in connecticut(wanted to support local)...before using local talent a rigger recommended Mack Sails out of Florida...family-owned...My storm jib estimate from Mack was, out of "i think" 9oz dacron with yellow/orange bright upper triangle, hank on, about 75 sq ft was $900 ish, which included shipping...this for a Bristol 35.5, so a tad smaller than your crealock but not much....I sent them a few measurements, they have a form on their site. Altho after listening to Skip Novak, I'm not going w/ a staysail, due to the hassle of hoisting one...going to look at my main and potentially add a 3rd reef point instead. thnks PS..now looking for a used heavy weather jib...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 16:33   #10

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We have used Ballard Sails near Shilshole. We have been very happy with their products and they were less than either Carol or Frank Schattauer but still quite good.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 16:37   #11

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

I purchased a new mainsail from Precision Sails and thought the whole experience was really first class. When I decided on adding a new staysail I went with my local loft (Bohndell's in Maine). All the details for my mainsail were readily available, but Precision was very diligent in verifying all the measurements. The new staysail (sort of a Staysail Genoa) was a completely new design and I thought the only way it would turn out well was to work with a local loft where I could engage in face to face discussions. Working with the local loft here in Maine was an absolute joy and one hell of an education in sail design and sail making. I paid well under $2000 even with a fairly high end cloth. Precision does very good work, but I would definitely start with a local loft.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crealock, sail