Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 08:50   #31
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Need to add a tang for hoisting

Just curious. Pop rivets were mentioned, as tapping thread for screws, yet no mention of rivet nuts? Why? They look (only seem?) ideal for such applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

(attached image taken from the web)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	145712  
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 09:19   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Boat ownership is so rewarding. You not only get the pleasure, and expense, of owning a boat but get to justify buying the toys, I mean tools to work on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Well, that is interesting, since I recently had to replace my roller furler and add a restrainer due to a bad halyard angle and a halyard wrap. I certainly don't need more interference up there now. I'm back to wanting a tang and a becket pulley like I originally asked for. So I need to get the tang I pictured, some tefgel, and a tap for some SS screws. And a cordless drill...
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 07:53   #33

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Got my boat neighbor to crank me up last weekend and I installed it. Drilled and tapped 4 #10x24 holes and used 1/2" screws with tefgel. Added a piece of coke bottle plastic behind the tang as well. Everything went flawlessly and I didn't forget anything I needed. Amazing how something that takes 10 minutes on the ground takes an hour from 50' higher...
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 18:22   #34

Boat: Sabre 402

Of course now it's installed already. I was going to suggest simply hanging a tackle off the end of the boom to hoist whatever you wanted on board, and then sliding it forward to secure it to the foredeck.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 18:28   #35

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I've already got one there. I lashed a ring to the end of the boom and I have a 4 to 1 rig set up for the dinghy engine. But the boom won't reach to the foredeck, so I needed a hoist up there as well. Its for getting the 8.5' inflatable and the rail hung 11.5' kayak up and down. I've got cam cleat fiddle blocks on the lower ends so I can pull with one hand and guide with the other. They work great!
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote