Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 06:53   #31
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'
Re: Need to replace my dock lines and fender lines; best material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseN View Post
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Dock-Lines
Good explanation of the lines I should use on my boat. Thank you.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 06:57   #32

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Nylon is the material of choice, of course.

Double braid is by far the most popular, and equally by far the least suitable construction. If you look at the specs, double braid has very little stretch even in nylon. Three strand is a huge step up, but the very best is the multi-plait construction like New England ropes mega braid.

I am a bit counterculture on diameter, preferring smaller than normally specified. On my 43-footer, I use 1/2-in lines. It is a trade-off between the durability of larger lines and the stretch of smaller lines. I do watch them closely for chafe.

I also just replaced my fender lines. As mentioned earlier in thread, that is all about preference. I went with solid braid 3/8 Dacron. Seem to be a inexpensive but nice feeling and handling line.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-x-100-f...-/184556158685
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:19   #33

You should have 4 dock lines. Bow and stern, plus 2 "springs".
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:52   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
You should have 4 dock lines. Bow and stern, plus 2 "springs".
This sounds perfect for when tied at one side to a wharf; however, in a slip and tied to port and starboard, you might choose to double the number. This is especially true if you're exposed to much wake, tide, or weather.
Old 21-06-2021, 07:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This sounds perfect for when tied at one side to a wharf; however, in a slip and tied to port and starboard, you might choose to double the number. This is especially true if you're exposed to much wake, tide, or weather.
Amend to read "at least 4", then a few spares for storm precautions.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 08:11   #36

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Poly floats. It’s cheap. That’s about it for it’s favorable attributes. It degrades comparatively quickly in sunlight. It is very slippery, meaning knots don’t stay tied as well. It’s the weakest of probably any synthetic on the market.
I’ve got 5/8” Nylon Samson dock lines on our 40 ft boat that has a floating weight of 25,000 lbs. Three are 39 years old, and have been through several hurricanes and countless northers. After a while they get dirty and mildewed. I pressure wash them, and they look like new. Nylon acts as a surge shock absorber, easy on deck and dock fittings. Dacron is probably stronger, but without nylon’s stretchiness, is harder on the cleats- or more accurately, the deck they’re secured to.
As far as fender lines, their short length doesn’t generally need much elasticity.
Old 21-06-2021, 08:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wait!!!

I thought that was why they invented BIC lighters!!!

Do you mean there’s something else besides the butane whip?
Old 21-06-2021, 08:25   #38
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wait!!!
I thought that was why they invented BIC lighters!!!

Ah, wasn't it the late, great Brion Toss that called this the "Butane Backsplice"?

A soldering iron will also do an OK job, especially if you buy a spade-type bit. Even better, a temperature-controlled soldering iron, so you can just melt the rope instead of burning it into black.

I like Sailrite's Edge hotknife (a knock off of the original Engel) especially if you're going to be cutting heavy synthetic fabric for marine applications. (Again, it's a bit hot, but you can control the temperature by cycling the switch.)
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 08:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
... is there a way to cut the frayed ends off and use some sort of heat source to terminate them?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
I'll get a hot knife for this.....one day.

Until then I just use a small butane lighter. The type favoured by crack heads and dope fiends. 😁. Here they are refillable and available from any tobacco or cigarette shop for a couple of bucks and have multiple other uses on board (heat shrink etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	240663  
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 08:45   #40

I suggest wrapping a piece of tape around the end before you apply the heat- keeps everything neat. Since we don’t smoke, our butane sources are the ubiquitous fire starters found aboard used for lighting stoves and grills. Matches work, but usually burn out before you get much done…but there’s usually another match.
Old 21-06-2021, 08:47   #41

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
All I can say is: try it and then report back to us.
Here's two sets of instructions from the same source for you to work from:

3 strand: 1 page, four steps:
https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/defa...ul2012_web.pdf

Double Braid: 5 pages 8 steps, plus lock stitching:
https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/default-source/splice-instructions/dblbrd_c1_eye_splice_web.pdf
I agree three strand is much easier and usually doesn't even need any tools if you heat seal the three ends and form them into a point with wet fingers (quickly!) only need a pair of scissors or sharp knife two start cutting out strands once you 've made you first 4 or five tucks on each strand so as to get a nice taper but double braid looks and handles nicer and it's really not that difficult once you've done it a few times and it's very satisfying too...! I use 12mm for my 26 footer so probably a bit OTT but it's easier to handle. My shortest are 10M which seems to work well, wouldn't want them any shorter so I guess 1.25 x boat length seems about right.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 08:58   #42
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I agree three strand is much easier and usually doesn't even need any tools if you heat seal the three ends and form them into a point with wet fingers (quickly!) only need a pair of scissors or sharp knife two start cutting out strands once you 've made you first 4 or five tucks on each strand so as to get a nice taper but double braid looks and handles nicer and it's really not that difficult once you've done it a few times and it's very satisfying too...! I use 12mm for my 26 footer so probably a bit OTT but it's easier to handle. My shortest are 10M which seems to work well, wouldn't want them any shorter so I guess 1.25 x boat length seems about right.
Yes, the heftier lines are easier to handle and usually coil better. Also, they seem to throw a lot better when coming into a dock ("Aim for the head!")

Also, consider the uses for your dock lines and perhaps have a couple of extra long boat handling lines, which can double as spare anchor rode. From time-to-time, we've had to warp our boats from one wharf to another without the engine, or turn the boat around more-or-less within her length.
Old 21-06-2021, 09:17   #43

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

3 strand for dock lines and spring lines.
Length - at least half boat length for your 2 bow and 2 stern lines and full boat length for your 2 spring lines.

Buy in bulk and cut to length. Wrap line with painters tape and then hold a butter knife with oven mitt and heat on boat stove open flame until red hot. Cut line smoothly melting through (may need to stop and re-heat knife).

Most adaptable configuration is open ends on lines and just cleat hitch both ends when docking. Also don't have loops that can snag things when retrieving lines onto boat when casting off. For a more "permanent" long term marina set up you can eye splice a galvanized thimble and secure line to dock cleat with galvanized chain. Then cleat hitch on boat to adjust perfectly. Leave lines on dock when going out to sail (with this set up, unless only day sailing, you will need another set of bow and stern lines on board).

Take the time to whip the ends with colored whipping twine - it makes finding the ends very easy and looks salty.
doctorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 09:35   #44

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Yes, the heftier lines are easier to handle and usually coil better. Also, they seem to throw a lot better when coming into a dock ("Aim for the head!")

Also, consider the uses for your dock lines and perhaps have a couple of extra long boat handling lines, which can double as spare anchor rode. From time-to-time, we've had to warp our boats from one wharf to another without the engine, or turn the boat around more-or-less within her length.
Yes, I carry two lengths of 50M dock lines for when I am rafted out (often been on a raft out and been the fifth and once the sixth boat out.. one of the disadvantages of being one of the smaller boats
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 10:13   #45
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Yes, I carry two lengths of 50M dock lines for when I am rafted out (often been on a raft out and been the fifth and once the sixth boat out.. one of the disadvantages of being one of the smaller boats
Yes, good call. And raft mooring at canal-sides (or possibly fishing wharves where the tidal range is 15m/45 feet, like Bay of Fundy).

Tags
dock, fender