Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 16:10   #1

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
New Blocks for Spinnaker rigging

I have just purchased a Parasailor spinnaker for my boat. I have some blocks with fiddles that I have used with moderate success but I would like something better. Both of these blocks attach to a welded padeye just after of the bow roller assembly.
I want to use a soft tie type of shackle to attach the block to the padeye. In addition since I can not use a standup block with that padeye I need to use some bungee cord to attach the becket to the top of the bow pulpit to get the blocks standing up at attention ready to work and hopefully not snag on anything.
My question is which Harken block to buy? I was thinking the Carbo 75mm Airblock 2690 but they also making a 2691.
Anyone have any thoughts on the matter.
Thanks
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:17   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: New Blocks for Spinnaker rigging

You're throwing money away to go with Carbo Airblocks on a Meta Dalu 47. Kinda like putting mag wheels on a dump truck.

Look at Harker's ESP blocks, which were designed for cruising. And forget about the soft tie shackles.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:22   #3

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

But the cruising ESP blocks are 50% more money. Are you saying the Carbo blocks don't hold up or are not worth the money?
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:50   #4

Boat: Able 50

Carbo blocks don't hold up. They are not very durable and are aimed at racers not cruisers. On top of that their SWL is quite low. The whole thing with them is the light weight. Over time the bearings will collapse by developing flat spots that inhibit spinning.

Look for a solid bearing block such as the ESP. Ronstan also make one called the Core Block. Both products are much stronger and much more durable.

Make your own stand up device with one of the SS springs made for the purpose. They come in several sizes. With the spring you won't need the becket block. If that won't work make one from a short piece of hose over the shackle. Soft shackles are ridiculously overpriced and prone to chafe.

Name:   aaaa.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  6.2 KB
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, spinnaker