Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2024, 09:00   #1

Boat: MacGregor 25’
New boat, picking up, unstepping Hunter 240 Mast

Well, I’ve done it this time. I can sail our MacGregor 25 (in very fair winds) and we’re loving it but a deal came our way. We just bought a 1999 Hunter 240. It’s in the water and we’re picking it up on Sunday. The owner has not trailered it. HELP :-)

I found the manual, lots of words. I found a video showing how to step it but not how to lower it. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Hughesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:56   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: New boat, picking up, unstepping Hunter 240 Mast

It's very easy to drop the mast on a Hunter 240. Just make sure it comes down straight and check that all the rigging is coming down smooth and not hung-up on anything.

It's all in the manual, so not sure how to guide beyond that.
Old 06-06-2024, 18:49   #3

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. I will read again and again lol. I’m sure it will help once I see it too.
Old 06-06-2024, 19:40   #4

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Mast should be about the same length/weight as the one on your Mac 25, so you should just be able to do roughly the same thing. Apparently people raise/lower them by hand, but I prefer to use the trailer winch, a gin pole (aka old broom handle), and baby stays.

The owner has never trailered it, how long have they owned it? And you are bringing it home, how far is that?

If those answers are more than a few years and more than a few miles, I would be more concerned with the condition of the trailer tires/bearings/brakes/lights.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 07:56   #5

The trailer has apparently been sitting in a field for awhile. Luckily it’s only a 25 mile trip on a mostly 2 lane hwy. The seller is preparing the trailer now for the trip. My youngest son is coming with me. There’s nothing we can’t do together. I’m feeling a bit better now. I do raise and lower the Mac25 mast on my own.

It’s getting close to Sunday :-)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:47   #6

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Mast raising should be mostly the same as the M25 (I have one ). I would be concerned about the trailer's 25 year old tires, bring a spare or 2.

If you can weld, you can make a mast raising pole on the trailer. I make a telescoping pole that uses the trailer winch to lift the mast. It also incorporates a ladder for climbing up to the bow. About a day's work but well worth it if your going to be on and off the trailer often.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 10:54   #7

Thanks for the reply. I have a device that bolts to the bottom of the mast. It has a winch on it and a strap to lift and lower the M25 mast. It works slick. The manual for the Hunter tells me it has a lifting/lowering device built in. I’m looking forward to seeing it. You have my attention with your setup though.
Old 09-06-2024, 20:49   #8

Well, what a day. She’s an absolutely different vessel compared to the MacGregor 25. That said, we were on a lake we’ve never been on, handling a boat we’ve never been on. Anticipating a never before performed operation of dropping a mast. We won’t talk about how I had to put the left trailer wheel on the yellow centre line so the right one was on the road. My apologies to the cyclists :-)

She is home safe.

Tags
boat, hunter, mast, new boat