Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 07:13   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45
New : Challenge Newport sailcloth

I am working with Island Planet Sails on a complete new set of sails for my Jeanneau 45.

First, let me say that they have been very professional and quite helpful.
But ... they are offering a sail material that I have never heard of:
'Challenge Pro Radial', which the rep claims is a new line from Challenge called 'Newport'.

Here is an explanation for the Island Planet Sails rep:
Quote:
Many Sailmakers are not even familiar with this cloth yet. The Newport line of cloths from Challenge is given to premium line of cloths Marblehead is now going to be called Newport Marblehead. Challenge has always had a radial weave line of cloth as its top selling cruising radial fabric. Then 5 to 8 years ago came out with and heavily marketed their Warp Drive and left behind the Radial Weave or so they thought. What they found year after year radial weave outsold Warp Drive year after year. So now they have bettered there radial weave line of cloth by combining Warp Drive technology and now we have Newport Pro Radial. I am very excited about this because it brings 2 of my favorite radial Dacrons into 1. They feel as well as I this will be the best Radial Dacron on the market for the Performance Cruiser\Bluewater Cruiser at an affordable price. That said Pro Radial is better in strength numbers and an excellent cloth but at a cost that many can't afford. Newport Pro Radial reaches out to a larger overall market giving sailors a fantastic sail at an affordable price.
Has anyone heard of this material?
I am not seeing any info on the Challenge site or on the interwebs.
I've emailed Challenge .... twice.
No reply.

Thank you for your attentions.

• Epoxy expert (Family business 3 generation) Happy to answer questions
• Former SORC participant • Member of RLWYC
• Sailplane pilot • Composer/Musician ♫ https://bit.ly/2nUadlW
• Seeking SF global cruising partner.
Bluefielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 08:20   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: New : Challenge Newport sailcloth

The "fun" part about working with sailmakers/sailcloth makers, is asking them for emperical testing results of the various cloth options. Especially those done on "middle aged" cloth of make X, or Y. I never seem to see much of that data online somehow.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 00:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: New : Challenge Newport sailcloth

We extensively tested quite a few dacrons and will provide test results to some clients, however making them freely available on the internet allows all the other sailmakers access, not really fair when we went to all the trouble.

The Sanders sails video in the previous thread was quite open and honest.

Why would you want Radial dacron on cruising yacht anyway, unless you want to look "cool" in your local cruising fleet. The claimed performance advantage in the marketing is mostly a myth. It is only out of the clew where you get some better shape holding, but then as soon as you reef your back to bias creases.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport, sail