Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 23:46   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
New Dynema Line with Polyester cover Slipping on Winch

I recently replaced my furling line swapping out an old 10MM line with a 10MM Dynema with a polyester cover. This new line is now slipping on my winch (Harken 53ST) even with 7 wraps on it slips which has the effect of backing it out of the self tailor at the top of the winch, meaning you have to hold onto the end to keep it in there - Not great when single handing and trying to furl the head sail.

I also tried this line on another winch (Harken 46ST) with the same issue.

Following is a link to the specs of the line

https://www.roblineropes.com/product.../admiral-5000/

I have tried a test with 12mm line (same brand) and the winch and no issues, but really do not want to go up another size - FYI winch is rated from 8MM up.

Any ideas on how to sort this without changing the line?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:24   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: New Dynema Line with Polyester cover Slipping on Winch

The problem is that the cover is slippery - not the core. I'd wash the line in non-chlorine soap and run a green scouring pad over it to rough it up a little.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 15:51   #3
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
The problem is that the cover is slippery - not the core. I'd wash the line in non-chlorine soap and run a green scouring pad over it to rough it up a little.

Thanks I'll give it a go
Old 12-02-2021, 16:09   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post

I'd go as far as 400 sandpaper. I've done this.
Old 12-02-2021, 17:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I recently replaced my furling line swapping out an old 10MM line with a 10MM Dynema with a polyester cover.
While you are at it . . .consider stripping the cover off the section that furls around the furler drum but does not get winched. Will make the furling a (small) bit better.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 17:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Failing the above suggestions, you could buy a line with some Technora in the cover. This is grippier than the polyester cover, and more abrasion resistant.
Old 12-02-2021, 18:13   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
While you are at it . . .consider stripping the cover off the section that furls around the furler drum but does not get winched. Will make the furling a (small) bit better.

Not all Dyneema core in a covered line will have any added anti-UV protection. If you aren’t anywhere close to the safe working load of the line, as with a furling line, stripping the cover is OK. But if strength is an issue, check the line specs.

I third the roughing up of a polyester braided cover.

Alternatively, can you tighten the spring on the self-tailer so that it grips stronger?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 19:09   #8

The real problem here is you are using the WRONG LINE. There is no earthly reason why a furling line needs to have a high tech core.

A simple dacron double braid is MORE than strong enough for this purpose.
You should never need to put a furling line on a winch, so it should never experience more load than you can pull by hand, maybe 50 lbs? So why did you think it was needed to by a line with a breaking strength of 8000 lbs????
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 20:50   #9

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Umm. Never is a really long time.
I used to believe that furling lines should never be on a winch. Til I got a bigger boat.
I do my best with shadowing the jib with the main and mizzen, and managing the jib halyard tension, but sometimes a winch is really really needed. Truly.
My 10mm furling line is way too small for even the secondaries. So when I have too, it’s four or five turns, a light tail, and easy cranking
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 21:23   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
There is no earthly reason why a furling line needs to have a high tech core.
Quote:
There is no earthly reason why a furling line needs to have a high tech core.
Possibly true if you never use the sail partly reefed... but if you do the cyclic stretching and relaxing that happens as the boat reacts to puffs and to seas is a nuisance and alters the trim slightly with each surge. Not a killer, but it IS an earthly reason for a low stretch line in the furler.

And I also agree that on larger boats winching the furling line is often needed... like on our boat for instance. In light conditions I can hand furl it but in a breeze, often not so. And with our Solent rig, furling is required for every tack or gybe, so I get a lot of experience with this!

Jim
Old 12-02-2021, 22:23   #11
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The real problem here is you are using the WRONG LINE. There is no earthly reason why a furling line needs to have a high tech core.

A simple dacron double braid is MORE than strong enough for this purpose.
You should never need to put a furling line on a winch, so it should never experience more load than you can pull by hand, maybe 50 lbs? So why did you think it was needed to by a line with a breaking strength of 8000 lbs????

Hmmm - Unless you are Superman, good luck pulling this in by hand in anything but zero wind. I have a Lagoon 440 - the line from furler drum to helm where I furl from is around 25m going through 4 blocks and a few eyes. I have a large Genoa and when the wind is up the only way you are bringing it in is on the winch. As Jim also pointed out the Genoa is run under big conditions partly reefed in and whilst a double braid will do the job, I picked up this line from my local yacht shop for a similar price as I was buying a lot of gear and he did me a deal, so why not?
Old 13-02-2021, 09:36   #12

How slippery the cover of a high tech line is depends highly on the brand (go to a chandlery that deals with different brands and hold the lines in your hand, you can easily feel the difference). In my experience, Admiral is on the slippery side of the spectrum, Samson or Marlow are significantly less slippery and rarely give any slippage problem.
Never tried to "rough up" a cover, but it makes sense to give it a try.
If you end up wanting to change the line, what others are saying that you do not need a high-tech line as a furling line make a lot of sense as well (stretch and load is not the primary consideration for a furling line, low tendency to kink and slip is). In general, you do not want a line that has a completely different material for the core and for the cover as a furling line, because that line will be more "temperamental" than a line with similar core and cover. For example, something like Samson XLS performs quite well and still has relatively low stretch and reasonably high load. For a furling line, it is preferable to (and way cheaper than) a high-tech line like Warpspeed II.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 12:15   #13

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

Pretty easy fix... just buy some cover slip it/sew it over the section you have to use on the winch or stuff the center of the line with a smaller line to "fatten it up". High tech line always gives the same issue for newbies to the high tech line world... don't feel like you are the only one who has ever had this problem.... you will also find that you need to do the same thing on the sections that need to be rope clutched.
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 12:49   #14

Boat: Cape Barren Goose
pirate Re: New Dynema Line with Polyester cover Slipping on Winch

You need to take the cover off the winch for the rope to get a grip. If you leave it on it will also be hard to get the winch handle to go into the hole
Old 13-02-2021, 14:32   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

How old /well used are your winches? I had a problem with older winch drums slipping and had a shop resurface them. The shop I used knew what they were doing. They redid the smooth surface with a fine diamond pattern and then anodized the result. For me it was cheaper than buying new drums but that is an option, too.
I find it strange that a roller furler presents enough force to cause 7 wraps to slip on the winch drum. Are the self tailer jaws doing their job?
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch