Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 07:34   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
New lifelines - open-bodied vs tubular turnbuckles?

I'm getting ready to replace the old coated stainless steel lifelines on my boat with dyneema, and looking at the hardware I need I see there are open-bodied and tubular turnbuckles available. For standing rigging I think that open-bodied are best, but for lifelines I think it's a wash in terms of functionality. Can anyone suggest a good reason for choosing one over the other? I'm inclined to go with the tubular style for my lifelines...

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 07:50   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: New lifelines - open-bodied vs tubular turnbuckles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I'm getting ready to replace the old coated stainless steel lifelines on my boat with dyneema, and looking at the hardware I need I see there are open-bodied and tubular turnbuckles available. For standing rigging I think that open-bodied are best, but for lifelines I think it's a wash in terms of functionality. Can anyone suggest a good reason for choosing one over the other? I'm inclined to go with the tubular style for my lifelines...

Regards,
David
Turnbuckles?! With Dyneema you don’t get no dam turnbuckles! In the forward end splice a small loop and cow-hitch it to the attachment point while also wrapping it around the stanchion, then at the rear splice the Dyneema around a low friction ring and use a lashing with Spyderline to tighten it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 08:24   #3

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:

Regards,
David
Check out this video, I am sure it will be helpful.

https://youtu.be/8GP_3nJpcnk
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 08:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Turnbuckles?! With Dyneema you don’t get no dam turnbuckles! In the forward end splice a small loop and cow-hitch it to the attachment point while also wrapping it around the stanchion, then at the rear splice the Dyneema around a low friction ring and use a lashing with Spyderline to tighten it.
^^^+1

Like the Jedi says!!!
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 08:34   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
You actually make an excellent point, guess I was too focused on just replacing the wire while keeping everything else somewhat similar. Thanks for slapping me upside the head...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 11:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You actually make an excellent point, guess I was too focused on just replacing the wire while keeping everything else somewhat similar. Thanks for slapping me upside the head...

-David
It was my pleasure

I went out and took the pictures. Don’t mind the unpolished stainless, we’re in travel mode and I hope Seaworthy doesn’t see this because she makes the beautiful splice around the ring while mine is just ordinary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	793AD6B4-7E34-4605-A9BD-2BC3566E0E7B.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	238739   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CB9B3E9-D839-4AB8-A833-9D3D5BFA2657.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	238740  

Old 19-05-2021, 11:08   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About the Spyderline: this is the 2.8mm which gives 2,500lbs per wrap. The 6mm Amsteel Blue is around 8,600lbs so you need four full wraps

Old 19-05-2021, 17:36   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For lifeline terminations going to a lashing, I've been using stainless thimbles rather than low friction rings. They are far less expensive, are easy to splice into the Dyneema and in a static lashing situation, their greater friction is not an issue. They are not as strong as the LFRs but if they collapse there is no great safety issue... the lifeline just gets a few cm of slack, but does not fail.

Jim
Old 19-05-2021, 17:44   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For lifeline terminations going to a lashing, I've been using stainless thimbles rather than low friction rings. They are far less expensive, are easy to splice into the Dyneema and in a static lashing situation, their greater friction is not an issue. They are not as strong as the LFRs but if they collapse there is no great safety issue... the lifeline just gets a few cm of slack, but does not fail.

Jim
I just switched from thimbles to LFRs... less stainless steel to polish

Old 19-05-2021, 17:51   #10

Those tubular thingies really have no place on a boat anyway, anywhere. IIRC some folks call 'em bottle screws.

A friend, decades ago, lost his forestay on SF Bay off Pt. Blount on a summer afternoon. He headed downwind and made it to Berkeley.

When he told me, I immediately brought my then Catalina 25 in for new standing rigging. As the yard fella was removing the backstay bottle screw it just disintegrated!!! "Good thing ya brung it in today, Stuey," he said.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 19:13   #11

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

My new shiny stainless steel lifelines are open turnbuckles. I lost an open turnbuckle on the forestay of the trailer sailor from not minding how it was being pulled while being stepped with a gin pole and mainsheet. Thinking it'd be good to get a Highfield lever for that one.
Old 19-05-2021, 19:21   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I just switched from thimbles to LFRs... less stainless steel to polish
Ho ho! I just use a generous dose of sloth to keep those thimbles in an acceptable state of polish.

Jim
Old 19-05-2021, 22:35   #13

Boat: Hunter 40

I did mine in 7mm dyneema, complete with gates, 2mm dyneema lashing with 4 wraps and S/S thimbles a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2471.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	238767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	238768  

Old 20-05-2021, 04:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
I did mine in 7mm dyneema, complete with gates, 2mm dyneema lashing with 4 wraps and S/S thimbles a few months ago.
Your splicing and lashing look top notch, love the French whipping

That said, I noticed the fuzziness on the Dyneema and it looks like the kind that had many reports on the forum where it broke when used as topping lift or halyard.

I only tried a couple different brands and keep it with Samson who uses genuine DSM Dyneema (Amsteel, Warpspeed etc.) which has proven to be reliable. None of the posters who reported failure could tell which brand the Dyneema was, which worries me but is also telling for the reason of failure.

I have Vectran that does that but is reliable, so fuzziness by itself doesn’t say anything.

Old 20-05-2021, 10:47   #15

Boat: Taswell 43

I can see the benefit added of using uncoated, straight s/s cable over the vinyl-coated stuff. But I don't see the added value of Dynema over the cable??? Sure, it's a little added weight, but on a cruising boat-not an issue. The 1/4" cable is certainly strong enough, so what's the benefit of going Dynema...for those of you that have? We use the open turnbuckles on one end of ours, vice the tubular ones, and have never had an issue. And to my eye, they are not only functional (so I can adjust them as I might need to), but they are smaller and less bulky than the wraps/spicing I've seen. Until I see the value added, we'll stick with s/s cable.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines