Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2018, 07:56   #1

Boat: Swan 432
New Winch for Boom

Looking to take advantage of the West Marine 3X rewards this weekend and order some goodies for the boat. We currently have a Lewmar 16 winch on the boom used for the outhaul. It is not self tailing and I would like to replace it with an Andersen 18 but not sure which finish to get. We have Andersen SS in the cockpit and was thinking about stainless for this winch. But I was wondering if it would cause problems reflecting sunlight. The zinc finished model would also closer match the boom finish. Opinions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00435.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	182621
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 16:29   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: New Winch for Boom

I would go with whatever was cheaper. An outhaul winch is just an outhaul winch. Save the big bucks for the more important stuff.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 16:37   #3

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

How often do you adjust your outhaul - and how much do you crank in? Self tailing on a boom outhaul seems major overkill.
Keep the old boom winch, use the money that's burning a hole in your pocket for something worthwhile.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 06:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
How often do you adjust your outhaul - and how much do you crank in? Self tailing on a boom outhaul seems major overkill.
Keep the old boom winch, use the money that's burning a hole in your pocket for something worthwhile.
As I said in my original post, the winch is 30 years old. Very difficult to get parts for it. And I also said in my original post, the outhaul line currently shares a cleat with another line. I did not ask if I should replace the winch.
Old 24-12-2018, 08:06   #5

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Buy and mount another cleat then. Unless your old outhaul winch was made of peanut brittle, pretty hard to wear out pawls and gears from a winch that is used so infrequently as adjusting a main outhaul.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

By 'outhaul' do you mean clew reefing winch. If so, self tailing makes a lot of sense. Really nice not to have the 'one hand for me' having to tail as it's trying to keep you on the boat. If it is just an outhaul winch, could find a lot better ways to spend my money for boat improvements.

As far as finish, polished stainless steel works for me
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
By 'outhaul' do you mean clew reefing winch. If so, self tailing makes a lot of sense. Really nice not to have the 'one hand for me' having to tail as it's trying to keep you on the boat. If it is just an outhaul winch, could find a lot better ways to spend my money for boat improvements.

As far as finish, polished stainless steel works for me
It is not for reefing. The clew is attached to a slider on a track with maybe a foot of travel. The outhaul goes to a pulley at the aft end of the boom and exits near the front of the boom to a winch, shown in the picture. I am not going to drill any more holes in the boom or mast unless I have to. The winch was last serviced long before I bought the boat 3 years ago and parts are nearly impossible to find.
Old 24-12-2018, 09:29   #8

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Without having a replacement winch in your hand, you don't know if the existing mounting holes are going to match. And if they don't you will be drilling more holes than for a new cleat. So either slip on an inexpensive rubber self-tail on your existing winch or just drill the holes for mounting a cleat. With winch maintenance the only thing likely to need replacing are the springs, which you can source in the meantime.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 10:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

I'm not familiar with zinc finish, but if it is zinc, don't put it on your aluminum boom, to avoid galvanic corrosion. An ideal winch for this application would be self-tailing and made of aluminum or stainless. You'll be mounting it with stainless steel screws, so make sure that they and the winch base are fully bedded to avoid poultice corrosion of the aluminum and corrosion welding of the screws.

Good luck
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 12:00   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

I replaced the non ST winch on the boom with the smallest Lewmar ST they make. Maybe a #16, don't remember now 15 years later. Similar sized boat to yours.

The winch is a bit wider at the base but fit fine. Biggest issue is to put a tough, flexible sheet plastic between the aluminum boom and the bronze winch base. Flexible because it won't crack like plexi can. King Starboard would work too but would be much thicker.

I really like the ST for this application. Much easier to adjust the foot than uncleating, adjusting, cleating.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 12:51   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

When I replaced the winches I went to all self-tailing Andersen winches, and have been very glad I did. On Carina the winch on the boom is used for reefing (the outhaul has in effect a 4:1 purchase so a winch is not needed). I think the little reefing winch is the most important winch to have self-tailing; standing at the mast it is often necessary to have a hand free to hold on while reefing. Stick with the polished stainless - low maintenance and durable. Coatings and platings look bad when they start to come off.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 13:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
Without having a replacement winch in your hand, you don't know if the existing mounting holes are going to match. And if they don't you will be drilling more holes than for a new cleat. So either slip on an inexpensive rubber self-tail on your existing winch or just drill the holes for mounting a cleat. With winch maintenance the only thing likely to need replacing are the springs, which you can source in the meantime.
Did you look at the picture I posted? The winch is mounted on a plate that is mounted to the boom. As I said, I am not interested in drilling MORE holes in the boom. And I am not going to rely on a cheap rubber add-on to convert the winch.
Old 24-12-2018, 13:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
I'm not familiar with zinc finish, but if it is zinc, don't put it on your aluminum boom, to avoid galvanic corrosion. An ideal winch for this application would be self-tailing and made of aluminum or stainless. You'll be mounting it with stainless steel screws, so make sure that they and the winch base are fully bedded to avoid poultice corrosion of the aluminum and corrosion welding of the screws.

Good luck
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
Thanks. I am assuming just the surface of the outside is a different finish and that the base is their normal metal. Although it could still pose a problem.
Old 24-12-2018, 13:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I replaced the non ST winch on the boom with the smallest Lewmar ST they make. Maybe a #16, don't remember now 15 years later. Similar sized boat to yours.

The winch is a bit wider at the base but fit fine. Biggest issue is to put a tough, flexible sheet plastic between the aluminum boom and the bronze winch base. Flexible because it won't crack like plexi can. King Starboard would work too but would be much thicker.

I really like the ST for this application. Much easier to adjust the foot than uncleating, adjusting, cleating.
Andersen makes a 12 and an 18, I have been having problems finding out how much load to plan for. The Andersen winches, from what I remember, handle a higher load than the older Lewmars. The base size is nearly identical, the 12 is 4.5 inches and the 18 is 4.75. But the 18 is a bit heavier and I do not want to add more weight to the boom if I can help it. I found plenty of clew calculations but someone said that the foot-long track and slide takes much of the load. Here is a picture of the clew attachment and track at the aft end of the boom. The scrapes are from the previous owner hitting the wire running backstays (which are now Dyneema).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	182728
Old 24-12-2018, 14:54   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Andersen makes a 12 and an 18, I have been having problems finding out how much load to plan for. The Andersen winches, from what I remember, handle a higher load than the older Lewmars. The base size is nearly identical, the 12 is 4.5 inches and the 18 is 4.75. But the 18 is a bit heavier and I do not want to add more weight to the boom if I can help it. I found plenty of clew calculations but someone said that the foot-long track and slide takes much of the load. Here is a picture of the clew attachment and track at the aft end of the boom. The scrapes are from the previous owner hitting the wire running backstays (which are now Dyneema).

Attachment 182728
You will not be pulling more than 300 lbs. I doubt you will even be pulling 200 lbs. If you are worried about it put one block inside the boom and halve your load. Pretty simple to do.

As for the weight of either winch - it is insignificant compared to the sail weight. Go up one cloth weight on your mainsail it it will be more than the weight of the winch upgrade.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch