Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 14:36   #1

Boat: Dromor Athena 44
Newer to me boat, help me identify this sail

Still in the process of fully unpacking and taking inventory of my 44 foot Dromor Athena I bought in June. What I thought was the old worn out genoa in the sail locker actually turned out to be a smaller sail, made by North Sail, in very good condition. It is much smaller than my current relatively new Genoa and not set up to use the roller furling. I think it is too big to be a storm sail and I suppose that is my main question--is this a storm sail? It is made of dacron and doesn't appear any thicker than my current genoa. Someone extended the clips on the front with loops of rope--maybe to go around the furler. I also have a baby stay, so maybe someone had it rigged to go there, but I don't see any signs of a halyard now or in the past.

I am guessing I just have an old but in good condition headsail that predates the roller furling. It was probably one of 2-3 headsails for varrying wind conditions, never got used much, so everyone just kept it on the boat as backup. Does the wisdom here agree, or is this some sort of speciality sail I am missing.

I have put the dimension of this sail below, with dimensions of my much larger furling genoa in brackets for reference. Mast height is 15.8m from cabin top.

Foot = 3m (6.1m)
Luff = 10.2m (15.7m)
Leech = 9.2m (14m)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	160453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	160454  

SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 15:49   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Newer to me boat, help me identify this sail

That’s just some old headsail someone thought they could use hanked over the furled Genoa.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail