Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 20:00   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
non-directional rope clutch

Does anyone make a rope clutch that doesn't allow line to travel in either direction? One that just locks the line in position and doesn't allow any movement?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 22:22   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: non-directional rope clutch

i'm trying to think of what application you may be considering this for (?)

but without further info, my first thought is two rope clutches back to back...or a cleat

cheers,
Old 11-05-2022, 05:22   #3

I am contemplating a continuous traveler line run through an Antal Manual Line Driver. The Line Driver has a neutral lock position, but I was thinking as an extra level of security, it would be nice if I could lock the line on one side of the line driver from moving in either direction. I'm not sure I have the room for two clutches, one on each side of the line driver, or even two on one side.
Old 11-05-2022, 16:00   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

if it's just the traveller, decent size cam cleats should be sufficient for positive locking.
these don't take up much room, but you would need to flick the line out / into the cleat after each use which guess kinda defeats the object.

have you checked with the supplier what is the load rating for the rope clutch which is built into the driver ? i've seen these drivers in use on other boats and don't recall seeing any backup locking...

cheers,
Old 11-05-2022, 17:03   #5

Yeah, I think I need to have as little slack as I can for this setup, so I don't think I'll be able to use cam cleats. I tried to contact Antal's US office/distributor but haven't gotten a reply. I can't find any detailed specs about load rating. I think I'll go ahead and buy one, and then bolt it to a board and try to get a feel for how well it holds under load. My current setup just has each traveler line through a cam cleat, and is designed to be hauled one way or another by hand with 4:1 purchase in the traveler car/track. So if I put a line through the driver and can't make it slip by pulling on the line with all my strength, then I suspect it should be strong enough. I might also bolt a small winch to the board and use that to load it and see how it feels.
Old 11-05-2022, 18:25   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Have you considered the possibility of using cam cleats and running the line through a low-friction ring between the two cleats? A lanyard on the ring could be used to pull the taut line out of the cam cleats when needed. Would that work?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 19:19   #7

That's an interesting idea, thanks. It would work well with two spinlock pxr cleats facing eachother. I'm not sure what I would use to keep the low friction ring pulling up on the line between the cleats.

I think I'll see how it goes with just the line driver, and if need be I'll consider this cam cleat option further... unless of course I stumble across some sort of non-direction line clutch lock thing.
Old 14-05-2022, 06:20   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

We have a setup like this on our spinnaker pole car. The continuous lines are rigged to be taut through the tackles on the top and bottom of the car, to blocks at the top and bottom of the track, and then through the two cam cleats on the mast. The cams are about a foot apart so you can use your hand to pull the line out of them to slide the car up or down, and then re-seat the line in the cams to hold it. Using a low friction ring allows you to put the cleats closer together than we have in our setup. A short tether could keep the ring positioned between the cleats, but still give it enough slack to uncleat the cams.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, rope