Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2019, 21:08   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Online Rope Store

Here's a quality rope store online, with real good prices. For example, 600' of 7/16" white polyester double braid with free shipping to the US lower 48 and Canada, is $461.77US. Online Rope Store, www.onlineropestore.com

I'm not affiliated with this outfit, just a satisfied customer.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:50   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Online Rope Store

Looks to be a pretty good operation. Says that they make their own ropes in Canada. I’ve been needing some new dock lines - perhaps I’ll give them a try. Thanks for posting.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 17:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Online Rope Store

I have found their rope to be of poor quality.
Old 09-09-2019, 17:59   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I have found their rope to be of poor quality.
Care to elaborate? Anyone can reply to posts and knock anybody out, but without backing up the claims, it means nothing.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 16:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Care to elaborate? Anyone can reply to posts and knock anybody out, but without backing up the claims, it means nothing.
Sure. When I was captain of a schooner, the owner was always looking for inexpensive line options (schooners have a lot of cordage!) Among the low-budget places he sampled, the online rope store was one. As a captain and a professional rigger, I deal with line all day, every day. The rope from these people was some of the worst.
Several marks of poorly constructed rope are: loosely-woven cover that allows the core to show or burst through easily; difficulty of splicing because the cover/core relationship is not right; early wearing of rope under normal use; rope fattening up and getting stiff shortly after being put into use.
If you ever splice lots of rope, the differences in quality become evident from the get-go, since the rope must be taken apart and put back together (so to speak), and the ease of doing this well is a huge indicator of quality.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:36   #6

Quote:
Sure. When I was captain of a schooner, the owner was always looking for inexpensive line options (schooners have a lot of cordage!) Among the low-budget places he sampled, the online rope store was one. As a captain and a professional rigger, I deal with line all day, every day. The rope from these people was some of the worst.
Several marks of poorly constructed rope are: loosely-woven cover that allows the core to show or burst through easily; difficulty of splicing because the cover/core relationship is not right; early wearing of rope under normal use; rope fattening up and getting stiff shortly after being put into use.
If you ever splice lots of rope, the differences in quality become evident from the get-go, since the rope must be taken apart and put back together (so to speak), and the ease of doing this well is a huge indicator of quality.
Thanks for explaining, it does not sound good. One of those that if you buy cheap you pay twice....
Old 12-09-2019, 07:14   #7

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Where do you buy from on-line?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
The store we are reffering to is called On Line Rope Store.

Online Rope Store, www.onlineropestore.com
Old 12-09-2019, 12:52   #9

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
The store we are reffering to is called On Line Rope Store.

Online Rope Store, www.onlineropestore.com
Yeah I meant the guy with the schooner who did all the splicing. He told us they were bad quality. Where do I get good quality? (Ie where does he buy)
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 14:19   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Yeah I meant the guy with the schooner who did all the splicing. He told us they were bad quality. Where do I get good quality? (Ie where does he buy)
If you know the makers of good rope such as Samson, look of line by name.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 03:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I don't buy online--I have the luxury of several physical chandleries nearby. But you can order specific brands from some online retailers. Jamestown Distributors sells New England and Samson, I believe. West Marine has a variety of good options. I don't know which brands Defender carries.
My all-time favorite is Yale--I've never seen a bad piece of Yale rope. Followed by Marlow. Then comes Samson, then New England, which makes my favorite dock and mooring and anchor products, though their technical stuff is still catching up to the other players.
Old 14-09-2019, 21:08   #12

Boat: Westsail 32

From the Hamilton Marine and Defender catalogs (and the Online Boat Store website), the tensile strength of 7/16" polyester double braid is.....

New England Sta-Set 7,000 #
Sta-Set X 7,700
Yale ULS 6,600
New England Vintage Sta-Set 5,600
Samson LS & LST 4,900
Trophy Braid 4,000
Mew England XLE 6,200
Online Rope Store 6,600

.....which I take to be a pretty good measure of quality.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 02:56   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

Don’t know where he buys, but Chains Ropes and Anchors in Auckland (and online) are one of the best local NZ suppliers of rope and chain and related hardware that I’ve found. They sell both locally made (Fineline and Hampidjan) and Italian (Amare) rope, with very competitive prices. They also carry Samson ropes.

For UHMWPE rope I’ve bought from Greenline Fishing Equipment in Denmark - they sell Acera for less than anyone else online that I’ve been able to find (please provide your less expensive source if you have one!!). Even with shipping to NZ and GST/Duty it works out to about half of the local cost.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 03:05   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
From the Hamilton Marine and Defender catalogs (and the Online Boat Store website), the tensile strength of 7/16" polyester double braid is.....

New England Sta-Set 7,000 #
Sta-Set X 7,700
Yale ULS 6,600
New England Vintage Sta-Set 5,600
Samson LS & LST 4,900
Trophy Braid 4,000
Mew England XLE 6,200
Online Rope Store 6,600

.....which I take to be a pretty good measure of quality.
If the published tensile strengths are your only metric for quality, then you have found your source, and I congratulate you. I measure quality by other factors, and the place in question failed in those.
But I do wish you much joy in your rope, and happy sailing in the days ahead.

Tags
rope