Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 23:29   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Open frame vs bottle style turnbuckles for standing rigging

Open frame, always better. You can inspect and lubricate threads. Closed body traps salt water and corrodes lower threads. And open body provides nice place to tie fenders, secute halyards, anything else. Same goes for lifeline turnbuckles.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02   #17

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"
Re: Open frame vs bottle style turnbuckles for standing rigging

I have the bronze bottle style that are, i believe, original to the boat making them over 40 years old. They are in excellent working order and appearance. I have replaced a number of the stainless toggle screws and I reassemble them with tefgel.

The riggers don't like them for valid reason mentioned above but with an occasional maintenance check by inspecting the stainless toggle screws and giving the screws a turn or two back and forth, I think they are fine.

I really like the fact that they have jam nuts to lock the threads and are smooth in form, don't require tape and can't hook a sail.

Also, I just think they're sexy on a boat with a clipper bow.

my 2 cents worth,
Jim

Tags
rigging