Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 12:29   #16

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Re: Out Of Mast Mainsail Furler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
On my schooner rig, both mainsails are profurl systems behind the mast and it is the simplest system to operate.

Our boat is a big heavy motor sailor so sailing performance was never the main priority .

[

That looks lovely.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:45   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Great thread - hope this wont be considered as hijacking buI am trying to decide between behind mast or in boom reefing/furling upgrade for Morgan 46 ketch. Obviously it may not make sense for resale value but I think in boom must be way way better for sailshape.

I'm looking for a system that will allow the mainsail to be fully lowered or rolled up and secured on boom or mast, from the cockpit. I don't mind reefing at the mast but in an emergency my wife must be able to fully secure the mainsail by herself from the cockpit.

Full battens with lazy jacks have several advantages but I can't see how the sail can be fully lowered and secured from the cockpit.

Specific question: with after mast roller reefing,, how much sag in the stay can I expect when deep reefed and motorsailing hard on the wind, no jib out in 20 to 30 knots wind? I do this when forced to go long distance upwind in rough seas.. Main must be very flat and traveler to weather side to allow pointing high just keeping the sail from flogging to reduce rolling.

Judging by the way the Genoa looks when deep reefed, I can't see how deep reefing the roller furled main could ever give a flat shape for upwind motorsailing.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Great thread - hope this wont be considered as hijacking buI am trying to decide between behind mast or in boom reefing/furling upgrade for Morgan 46 ketch. Obviously it may not make sense for resale value but I think in boom must be way way better for sailshape.

I'm looking for a system that will allow the mainsail to be fully lowered or rolled up and secured on boom or mast, from the cockpit. I don't mind reefing at the mast but in an emergency my wife must be able to fully secure the mainsail by herself from the cockpit.

Full battens with lazy jacks have several advantages but I can't see how the sail can be fully lowered and secured from the cockpit.

Specific question: with after mast roller reefing,, how much sag in the stay can I expect when deep reefed and motorsailing hard on the wind, no jib out in 20 to 30 knots wind? I do this when forced to go long distance upwind in rough seas.. Main must be very flat and traveler to weather side to allow pointing high just keeping the sail from flogging to reduce rolling.

Judging by the way the Genoa looks when deep reefed, I can't see how deep reefing the roller furled main could ever give a flat shape for upwind motorsailing.
one bit to remember with any mast type furling you give up battens. And for the scenario you state concerning your wife I would have to look into systems with lazy jacks and an open top sailcover setup similar to the stakpac system.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:26   #19

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Above the Fold, our Wright 10, has the LeisureFurl inboom system. When we got the boat, it did not have the furling line rigged, which meant going to the mast to grind the sail down to reef or furl. The POs were happy with this, but we weren't; my view has always been that leaving the cockpit for sail handling is risky.

With a furling line installed, reefing and furling are dead easy from the cockpit. Reefing in particular is very flexible, since you can reef to any of the battens (and unless I miss my count there are seven of them). Downside is that a new installation -- as someone mentioned -- is quite expensive. Overall, though, we really like the system.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, mainsail, mast, sail