Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 08:41   #1

Outboard Dimensions (suzuki, tohatsu, Honda, Yamaha)

We are looking to purchase the largest outboard/dinghy combination we can fit between our hulls. I am told that we cannot exceed 3.1 Meters (10'2").

So, I am looking at a 9'6" dinghy but.... I need to know how deep diffferent outboards are from the transom to the back edge so that the part sticking out doesn't run the risk of banging into the hull.

Do any of you have a 9.8, 9.9, 15 hp engines and a tape measure to physically measure from the back of your transom to the edge of the outboard in a down position?

Online I see how far it is with the prop raised, and handle to edge, but none show transom to edge in the down position.

We may have to go down to a 9'1"or even an 8, but I wanted to know for sure where we fit prior to making the purchase.

In particular I am looking at newer engines (Tohatsu 9.8) but really want a suzuki DF15 or the Yamaha or Honda equivalent.

Thanks!!
Sailing fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:42   #2

Re: Outboard Dimensions (suzuki, tohatsu, Honda, Yamaha)

i should also clarify that the problem is in raising only. Once it is up, back and forth movement wont be a problem.

Thanks
Old 24-03-2014, 09:40   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Most inflatable tubes stick well out behind the transom and the outboard usually is always inside this longest point.

The Suzuki 15/20hp 4-stroke measures 20" from transom to furthest back point of the cowling.

In 2-strokes, there will not be any size difference between 9.9 and 15hp engines. In 4-strokes, there will be a size difference. The Tohatsu 9.8 is smaller than the 15 because it is based on the 8hp engine and not the 15 model. If you want more HP, 15 and 20hp are the same size/weight in 4-stroke engines, so there is no penalty for going with a 20hp.

You can probably fit a larger dinghy than you think because you can hook up the davit lines with the dinghy cocked between the hulls and lift the bow end slightly higher than the stern while pulling it up past the hulls. This will allow 6-12" more dinghy to fit. Reverse the procedure when lowering.

Best thing is to ask other owner's of your boat model what size they have.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 11:22   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

You can get dimensions on the Internet. Scale it off if you have to. For example...

Tohatsu Outboards: Authorized North American Distributor for Tohatsu Outboards, Parts, & Accessories. Click on "Dimensions"

If you turn the motor sideways, you can knock of a few inches.
Old 24-03-2014, 19:12   #5

Thanks Mark,
I knew you had that Suzuki.

Hud, I should have estimated based on the drawing, but it seems like I always miss something. I wasn't sure if there was a slight angle or not when mounted.

Sine our boat will be in charter for a few years prior to us moving aboard, I am kind of worried about someone else banging things around. I think the engine hitting will be obvious, but what about the tubes sliding up the hull when someone doesn't lift it correctly? I wonder if that is obvious or something I am going to kick myself for? The option I see is to go smaller now, then sell and buy what I want later?

I hate buying twice, but maybe I hate screwing up the sides of my boat more?
Old 24-03-2014, 19:22   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you are chartering it, I would buy the cheapest, smallest dinghy and motor possible - I mean pool toy types. Charterers are unbelievably hard on dinghies. Whatever package you get, it will be absolutely worthless at the end of the charter period - if it still exists at all.

As for the tubes sliding on the hulls going up and down, ours do this regularly (it really is unavoidable for all but very small dinghies) and there has never been a cosmetic issue with it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 19:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you are chartering it, I would buy the cheapest, smallest dinghy and motor possible - I mean pool toy types. Charterers are unbelievably hard on dinghies. Whatever package you get, it will be absolutely worthless at the end of the charter period - if it still exists at all.

As for the tubes sliding on the hulls going up and down, ours do this regularly (it really is unavoidable for all but very small dinghies) and there has never been a cosmetic issue with it.

Mark
Great advice. I like to think the best, but you are probably right....

Tags
honda, men, outboard